Stubbs All Natural Charcoal briqs

Brian Moriarty

TVWBB All-Star
Anyone tried it?
I like it! A little spendy at under $7 for a 9lb bag, but its got no off smell, very little ash and I prefer it over Rancher.

100_2825.jpg

100_2826.jpg

100_2827.jpg

100_2828.jpg

I have only seen it at QFC (Krogers) in my neck of the woods.

I'm kinda weird about my charcoal use, I like Kingsford, Its readily available. Rancher was OK,for the price, but I wouldn't use it in my Kettles or Drum Smokers, it created too much swirling ash when I removed the lids, and use it only in the WSM's.
I have done Unscientific side by side comparison cooks with Stubbs/Rancher and Stubbs/Wicked Good briqs and they all took longer than K to get to temp, didn't have any of the "off smell" like K and I preferred the Stubbs over all of them, price and availability are the only drawback.

FWIW,

Don't let 100% natural fool you, Stubbs lists that on his rubs also and the ingredients are vague on the container, IMO.

There are a lot of natural ingredients that are bad for you.

If the charcoal works well, and you like the results, that's what counts.
icon_smile.gif

Cowboy has more brands than they have underwear...it would appear...looks to me like the charcoal is just a marketing/bagging proposition.

I have used the Stubbs charcoal briquets and like them very much. My local BelAir grocery store carries it. Pricy yes, but I like it too!

Normally I use lump, but with 22 lbs of pork butt in the weekend's plan, I was looking at an overnight cook. Briquettes seem to require less fiddling with the vents on long cooks and my first thought was to give Kingsford comp a try. Instead I saw this stuff at Lowes. It was cheaper than K Comp so I went with it. I didn't realize it was packed by Cowboy until I got home
icon_eek.gif

It reminded me of the Rancher briquettes we can't get around here any more, which is to say it is very good stuff. Crazy strong wind woke me a couple of times during the night but a quick look at the NuTemp showed there was nothing to worry about. Never even had to get out of bed.

Burn time was satisfyingly long - better than what I usually get with lump. I'll buy it again.

***Heads up!
I got some Frontier "premium" charcoal briquettes at Ace over the weekend and when I fired them up I knew that they would be trouble. Smelled like a road crew was just working on some asphalt. Strong smell of mesquite...I like mesquite lump just fine, this stuff was way too concentrated and strong on the ribs.

It's still a cowboy product. Now the flooring scrap and other junk is pulverized beyond recognition and repackaged as a briquette. I don't trust them.

Gary

I think Dave discovered a trend -

My local Lowe's has a pallet of it here. I'm not big on Cowboy's lump, but maybe I'll give a bag or two of this stuff a try. (Sounds good for the long burns)

been to have some of stubbs bbq i didnt think it was taht great. but that is just his face on a bag of briquettes made by cowboy charcoal. i am always leary of products that are based solely around famous or semi-famous people's portraits.

I did my third cook with Stubbs charcoal briquettes on Smoke Day. Don't know that I can go back to Kingsford. I have done a couple of all-nighters and the Stubbs held up as good or better than Kingsford for those 14+ hour cooks. This latest effort was buckboard and Canadian bacon where I needed to keep temps very low and not have any sudden spikes. I was able to "dial in" a 180-200 degree temp for over 3 hours without a problem. The Stubbs charcoal also does not give off that strong odor that is trademark for Kingsford and there is less ash in the bowl afterwards. Kingsford is still a good product, the best bargain and capable of getting the job done, but in my opinion I just think the Stubbs is a step up for briquettes. Lowe's sells Stubbs here.

Back