Storing your spices

Kevin-kevdawg

TVWBB Member
This weekend I'm making a journey which will take me close enough to a Penzey's retail store that I just have to stop. I have refered back to an old post "Metamorphosis Rub" in which Kevin suggests using 3-4 different chili's and cutting out the paprika and "chili" powder. This has inspired me, but I have a couple of questions. What is the best way to store your spices and just how long can I expect to keep them "fresh". Now back to the old post, I plan on using my rub on just about everything, will the combination of ancho, guajillo and cascabel make a good "everything" rub? I will be stocking up on some other spices, if they will keep for some time. This is short notice post, as I will be making my trip on Saturday.

Thanks,
Kevin

I keep chili /chile powders in the original bags, in the freezer. This keeps them isolated from light, air ,and moisture.

I use the Renyolds Handy Vac (use it for everything else too) to store any spices that dont come in bottles, they are resealable and work well.

Though I make a new rub combo every time I need one if you prefer to make an 'everything rub' do so. What you might think of doing is making a base for an everything rub --e.g. --combining the chilies (yes, those three would make a good start) with, say, granulated onion and garlic, and maybe small or smaller quantities of some spices -- let's say ginger, allspice, maybe a little cumin and cinnamon -- and a base herb or two in small quantities -- let's say a little thyme and marjoran and/or sage. Then, when you want to use it, you can simply skew the mix more toward what you are making a the time, i.e., skew it toward the meat and the sauce and sides, by pumping up quantities, as needed, of one or more of the items you have in there already, ir by adding one or more items depending on use. Just a thought.

So I will store my spices in the freezer and do not have the Reynolds Handy Vac, but will use my foodsaver maybe and seal the original bags. Since I don't know what the originals will look like.

Kevin I have a question about the chilies, should I limit my rub to 3-4 different types. Will more than 3-4 over power the rub. I do plan to change it up some and will make it in small quantities, unless I come across "the one".

I'm looking forward to my trip to Penzey's and stocking up on what I can not find here in West Virginia.

Thanks,
Kevin

"Overpower[ing]" is more a product of chile quantity relative to the other ingredients, and of the amount used when applying, so the answer is no. I sometimes use 4-6 different chilies in a rub, depending on the qualities of each I am seeking.

I would suggest trying different chile combinations in smaller rub mixtures till you hit on one that you like the best.

I think the general rule is to buy only enough to last you 6-8 months. I try to stick to that so I don't bother vac packing and freezing. It is much more efficient to keep small quantities of my spices on hand when I need them.

IMO, it doesn't really make sense to buy large quantities to make large batches of rubs that you have to store for long periods of time. Sure its nice to have a rub ready to go when you need a quick cook, but then you miss out on the fun of trying out the "little bit of this and a little bit of that" approach.

With penzey's you be getting most of your spices in bags. I've invested in canning jars to store them. I like the way they stack, and it helps that all my jars are the same size. I have bought some penzey's jars but I think they are more expensive.

Back