Storing wood chunks

Stevo (Steve Y)

TVWBB Member
I now have 120 lbs of smoking wood... 30 lbs each of apple, cherry, white oak, and hickory. I'm planning on storing it in my garage in stacking bins. Question is... Should I drill holes in the bins to promote air flow, or leave them sealed?

Thanks, all!

Bill S., any issues w/mold in the bins without holes? That was my concern when was looking at methods to store my chunks. Settled on burlap sacks . . . actually I guess I should say it was decided for me, they came in the burlap sacks.

No issues. I have to keep the top on because I get all kinds of critters in there (unattached garage). They get in there and tear up my insulation and make nests. I have a nice little nest in a spare tire hanging on a wall, and found one in an old baby stroller...lol. Chipmunks, squirrels and possums. Hmmmm..smoked possum...Someone must have tried it...lol.

Mmmmmm... smoked possum... wonder which rub to use....? I'm going to leave the bin covers on, and not drill any holes yet. See how things come along.

Steve,we have a small house,without much space. Storage is definately an issue. Last year I bought a large plastic tote to store all my wood. I just buy the bags of wood from wm and Lowes. I've never had any issues with mold.

Steve-

It depends on how green the wood is when you store it. I chopped up a bushel or so of apple chunks from a friend's tree that came down in an ice storm last January and stored it in a tote with a tight lid. I have mildew all over the wood now and need to spend some time cleaning off the chunks I use for smoking. Very inconvenient.

John P

I've been using milk crates. They stack nice, have plenty of air circulation. don't take up too much space, and still have enough room to keep a good amount in. Best of all they were free. Of course I had to retrieve them from the back of the local grocery store, and give them a bit of a cleaning.

On my back porch, in the bag or box the wood came in with a few holes punched in the sides and the tops always open. No issues yet. However, I don't have 120 pounds on hand

Back