Storing Charcoal and Wood Chunks

JimT

TVWBB Pro
Here in Michigan, it can be anywhere from 0 to 100 degrees F. and humidity levels to match. Given these extremes, what recommendations do you have for storing both charcoal and wood chunks?

Shed?
Attached garage?
Air conditioned house?

Thanks,

JimT

Wood chunks I don't worry about so much-- I have some in an outdoor deck box, and some in the garage. As far as charcoal, storing in an attached garage with the bag rolled down tight seems adequate for me. Of course, a bag doesn't stay open too long before it's empty here, either.

I store both in an outdoor deck box (plastic), with the charcoal bag inside a large plastic trash bag. So far I've never had a problem with either. The deck box has never leaked, as far as I know. The trash bag gives me peace of mind when it rains (or is extremely humid), that the charcoal isn't soaking up any moisture.

I keep mine in the garage or the basement. But i have a big plastic Rubermaid deck box and some of them new Ziploc XXL bags that should keep it nice and dry. I started using them bags to store my opened sacks of grain for my homebrew in. A 55lb sack of grain fits in them no problem. IIRC they are $6.00 for 3 bags at the grocery store.
icon_wink.gif
Ziploc Big Bags

I picked up some construction grade large plastic bags. The size I have I can get a twin pack of Kingsford in it and twist tie the top until I need it.

I have some pictures on my blog showing the way I store my bbq stuff.

In the first picture, note the bottom shelf of the metal table. Those 2 boxes are how we buy dog biscuits. They have a lid that snaps tight, and I store my wood chunks in them.

In the third picture, I store my charcoal, newspaper, and now, my new windbreak in a 32 gal. plastic trash can. The lid snaps on good enough that I have never had a problem with rain getting in.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
Your favorite T-shirt is offensive in thirteen states.

Charcoal, wood and paper are stored outside in a large Rubbermaid garbage can. As long as it stay dry, I don;t expect any problems.

Back