Storing cast Iron skillets

Mine are in the oven except for 2 of them, my skillet and flat pan. We use them often so they stay on the stove on the two back burners

I read years ago that the using vegetable oil was not a good idea because if the pans are not used for a while the oil can become rancid. After using my cast iron pans, I wash with hot water and a nylon brush. Then I put it over high heat on my gas range to dry. Then I take a paper towel and a hunk of Crisco and wipe the inside of the pan. Let it heat for a minute and then let it coolbefore hanging on a pot pack.

Crisco is hydrogenated vegetable oil. The ingredients are Soybean Oil, Fully Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Palm and Soybean Oils, Mono And Diglycerides, Tbhq and Citric Acid (Antioxidants).

I have a lot of cast iron pieces and have never had a problem with the oil becoming rancid. I use a very small amount of vegetable oil and use a paper towel to wipe out the oil until the skillet looks dry. That is enough oil to protect from rust.

I clean mine then hang them.
If not used for a while and dusty, simply rinse with hot water and dry.
sometimes after cleaning them, if the oven is still hot, they go in there until the next day.

IMG_4661.JPG

Steve, you really freeze your skillets?

I store "most" of my fry pans on the wall in the kitchen, another 6 or 8 of the fry pans are around the house everywhere, 2 fry pans the griddlepan and the round flat pan are on the stove all the time, my muffin pans are in drawers and my 5 dutch ovens are in the garage, I have 20 or 30 cast iron pieces.

I cook almost exclusively in cast iron. I clean mine, dry them thoroughly and coat inside and out with about a TBS of olive oil. They are stored in a cupboard between uses. About every 4 to 6 weeks I wipe them down with a heavy coat of vegetable oil and place them in a 250 degree oven for about an hour. I turn the heat off, allow them to cool in the oven, and wipe them out after they are cool.

Regards,

John

Sounds like a good plan but way too much work for me, especially re-seasoning them once a month. The ones on my wall may get used once a year, in the case of the 14 inchers, it has been at least 10 years since they have been used, once in a blue moon, maybe once a year I dust them off and check them, so far in 10 years no signs of rust since they had a good seasoning on them to begin with.
Sounds like what I do with my guns, I take them out every month or so and wipe them down and oil them and inspect for rust. But that is so I can fondle them once a month (it makes them happy). They really don't need it that often.
I have found that the ones I use all the time, 5 on the stove top, don't need any extra work or wiping beyond the use of them. I will say however that the camp dutch ovens stored in my garage, the ones that get used are fine but the two that do not have developed some rust on the outside (not inside) and I am going to reseason the outside, mainly for appearance.

I wipe mine down with a paper towel, use a brush with water (minimal soap), and then give them a quick rub of olive oil. I store them with paper towels between the metal - read that somewhere.

Back