Stokerlog Version 6

Originally posted by Billy Strickland:
Amir...you may or may not want to pay attention to my previous post..

Having used MS software as long as I have and fighting through Vista and now Win 7, I should have know to try running the software as escalated Administrator permissions.

It has been stable now for 10 minutes...

I'll update if I have any more crashes..

Thanks
Billy

I had the same issue -- there are a couple of workarounds. This is caused b/c UAC doesn't allow writing data to global locations. (What puzzles me is that UAC is supposed to redirect these calls transparently to per-user locations, and I'm not sure why that isn't happening.)

At any rate, you can flag the app ro run as admin, or change Stokerlog to write the log file to a per-user area (like My Documents)...

Happy Holiday everyone!

In the spirit of "eating your own dog food" (euphemism in software circles for using your own software), I am cooking a Turkey as I type this. Using a recipe which called for starting low and increasing temps from 260 to 300-325 as to allow the smoke to sink in, but also getting them temps high enough as to not take too long to cook the bird (and dry it out?).

So I fired up the timed cook functionality of stokerlog. So far, it is working but found a bug. If the time setting window is not up, it doesn't work! I know what is wrong but for now, make sure you keep that window around rather than closing it.

Happy Holiday's to you too Amir and many thanks for this great program.

Ah yes, "eating your own dog food" I would expect nothing less from you. Where do we come-up with some of these terms, lol.

Downloading the latest version now for my New Years Eve cook. Happy New Year!

I am ordering the stoker tomorrow (i cant stand the fact of not being able to access and control it via internet with the other ATC
icon_smile.gif
). I have the latest Stoker Log downloaded and hopefully I will be good to go. I am looking forward to using it

Shaun

Congrats on your new purchase Shawn, if the bells and whistles are what you desire you will not be disappointed with your Stoker.

Originally posted by Brian (Lonewolf):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy Strickland:
Amir...you may or may not want to pay attention to my previous post..

Having used MS software as long as I have and fighting through Vista and now Win 7, I should have know to try running the software as escalated Administrator permissions.

It has been stable now for 10 minutes...

I'll update if I have any more crashes..

Thanks
Billy

I had the same issue -- there are a couple of workarounds. This is caused b/c UAC doesn't allow writing data to global locations. (What puzzles me is that UAC is supposed to redirect these calls transparently to per-user locations, and I'm not sure why that isn't happening.)

At any rate, you can flag the app ro run as admin, or change Stokerlog to write the log file to a per-user area (like My Documents)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried running this on my newly updated Windows 7 64 bit laptop and got the same error every time I hit start. I was in a hurry to get out of the house, so I used my wife's xp laptop and everything was fine.

So now, I just need to change the location of where the log file is stored? To something in my documents?

That is something I have to change in the program Pat. You can't change that. I will try to work on it later this week. For now, the workaround is to run with Administrator privileges.

Originally posted by Amir:
That is something I have to change in the program Pat. You can't change that. I will try to work on it later this week. For now, the workaround is to run with Administrator privileges.

Amir,

I was unable to do anything - hit the start button and get the error message. I went into Settings - Advanced - and changed the location of the log file to within My Documents.

Now, I can hit start and it works (yet to hook up the stoker). Did I mess something up here?

Thanks

Son of a gun. I had forgotten about that option
icon_smile.gif
. So you did the right thing. I will still need to change the default so that it works without changes.

By the way, there is a "simulation" mode where it works without the stoker. So if you want to see it do something, turn that on.

Ok, that didn't work. I ended up having to unhide the Win 7 admin account, reinstalled the program, and now I can run it from the admin account. That works for now.

I think I know what that is. There is a second logfile that is not documented and hence, can't be moved.

For now, the safe method is as you found out: run as admin.

Hi Amir-

I was wondering, since you push data to twitter, do you think you could push data to my webapp, for live logging?

It would just involve the user entering the url for you to call (I'd supply it to them), and you calling out to that url with your StokerLog format.

James

(I actually considered just having people use your push to twitter and parsing twitter feeds, but that seems like overkill)

Hi Amir

Did an overnight smoke, Brisket over Butts, on my new 22"

Most everything worked well with Stokerlog except for 1 minor issue with email notifications

I had it set for 10 minute emails this morning and the would not go through. The test button works fine, and Temp and Food alarms go through, just not the routine ones.

I think the issue is the message size and US Cellular. I got this bounce notice for each email attempt

The following message to <REPLACED@email.uscc.net> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 552-'Message size exceeds fixed limit'

I was not able to use the send to phone radio button due to US Cellular not in the drop down list.

I had 2 air and 5 food probes, which probably caused the messages to be too large

Certainly not a big issue, just wanted to let you know

Thanks for the Great Program

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Sorry for not seeing your message earlier.

The only fix I can think of is to have a checkbox where it would send very abbreviated messages.

Back