Stokerlog Version 6

Do I need to update my firmware? I am running 2.6.0.193, and everytime I load stoker log I get an exception error that says this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AmirM Software\StokerLog\StokerLog.txt' is denied.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack)
at StokerLog.StokerLog.StartButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\Amir\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\stoker\Stoker\Stoker\Stokerlog.vb:line 350
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StokerLog
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/StokerLog.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
ZedGraph
Assembly Version: 5.0.7.40149
Win32 Version: 5.0.7.40149
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/ZedGraph.DLL
AxInterop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/Interop.WMPLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I could use a little advice, if it's not too much trouble. I just got a stoker, and installed StokerLog. All started well, but a few hours in I got a dropped connection. Hit the start button, and it successfully restarted. An hour later, dropped again. I'm using my laptop to run StokerLog, connecting via a wifi connection. The Stoker is hooked to the router directly with cat 5. Any ideas where to start in troubleshooting? I forgot to check the version of the stoker firmware, but I just got it so it shouldn't be too old.

Jeff that is a known permissions issue with Windows 7. Make sure you run stokerlog as administrator. Find the link to it, get the Properties and set the flag that says Run as Administrator.

Mitch, are you able to say, overnight test it with a hardwired connection to your laptop to make sure that setup is reliable?

Mine is cooking along quite nicely... Now, I'll just have to cook a lot more to figure out all the bells and whistles... Thanks Amir... this very helpful

Amir:
I'll try plugging in the laptop to the router with a cable instead of wifi, and see what happens. One other question: I have the pit probe just under the upper grill on a WSM 18 1/2", and the default settings for the open lid don't seem to work. I reduced the temperature drop value some, but it's still intermittent. Any ideas on values to try?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, there is a simple solution: don't use lid open!
icon_smile.gif

With the latest version of stokerlog in this thread, simply walk up to the smoker, turn off the stoker, open the lid do your thing, then close the lid and turn on the stoker. Stoerklog will automatically reconnect as if you had not done that! The graph may show a glitch but that is harmless.

When you do turn it on though, make sure the fan comes and goes off before continuing. Sometimes stoker can fail to initialize correctly on power up (unrelated to this usage mode).

Thanks for the help. I haven't had a chance to do a test run, but I've got a better idea what's going on now. On the power up, I've noticed on my stoker that it sometimes takes a several on/off fan cycles before it gets initialized correctly.

That is a known bug in stoker. You have to always here the fan go off regardless of its settings. If it stays on, it is hung and you need to power cycle it.

Well, I figured out part of the problem. I had an old version of Stokerlog. The link on Rocks BBQ page is to 4.2. Installed the new version, and all is well. I did a couple of pork shoulders last Sunday, and everything went perfectly, even considering we had a power failure right in the middle. Fortunately, I was running Stokerlog on my laptop, so the battery kept it running, and the power was only off about 5 minutes. I had just gone down to open the vents on the weber to do a manual cook when the power came on, Stokerlog reconnected by itself, and the cook went on. Thanks for the help, and what a great program!

hi amir, maybe you could help me? i am trying to use stokerlog but when the stoker fires up the blower, my LAN connection is lost(i am hardwired stoker to laptop)and when the stokerlog tries to reconnect it either fails or hangs at one of the commands, tini, bbq-k, etc., etc. any thoughts when you have a moment?
thank you, dylan.

That is a strange problem. Have you tested the stoker with the browser first to see if it works well there? Go ahead and try it without a fire and see what it does.

hi amir, thanks for your offering some help. with just the web interface it seems to work ok. although, when the stoker is either reading or sending info to the blower i do lose connection. it seems to reconnect ok with the browser. another, unrelated issue i have with the stoker is that when running high heat, i can't ever access the controls because the blower is always going on and off and that shuts me out, both web, stokerlog, and manual on the box. might there be a workaround for this loss of communicability? because this means i can't A)read cooker temp, B)read meat temp, or C)change any settings.
thanks again for any thoughts.

Hi Dylan. All of these point to broken hardware. I would call John and see what he says. Likely he will exchange your unit.

Sorry I could not offer any other hope
icon_smile.gif

please help me understand the correct functionality of the unit. from what you said i should be able to control the stoker no matter what it is doing? browser, stokerlog, or manual. i just figured all along, while it was "talking" it couldn't "listen" to me.
well, if that is the case, and it is fixed or replaced, i'd be a happy camper. other than reconfiguring my computer and another stoker...i'm not that computer/network savvy.

That's right. The machine "multi-tasks" and when operating normally will let you interact with it simultaneously through multiple means. Indeed, often I have stokerlog running, the browser and then I go mess with the front panel. All work at the same time. You should never be locked out of it, nor should it drop a connection.

hi amir, i wrote rocks and kenny knew exactly what it was. the power supply, he mailed me the correct 1 the next day.
btw, i emailed them at like 11 o'clock pm, got a response, and a solution.
thanks for your help amir.

I have a problem with the estimated food ready time in StokerLog V6.6. When things start up the time that appears for the estimate when the food will be ready works fine. But if I change the target food temperature the green bar in the graph is not updated and the estimated time continues to use the old temp. By refreshing data from the stoker I can get the green bar to move to the new temp, but the time estimate continues to use the old temp. Is there any trick to fix it?
Thanks much!
Thorsten

Back