Stokerlog Version 6

Great work in figuring this out!

Amir, While you are working on the software, could you go ahead and add ramp up/down events by temperature a choice as well in the timed cook area. If you remember this was discussed in this thread over a year ago.

Thanks.

I am sorry if this is a very stupid question but i just got my stoker.

I have upgraded the firmware. I can get stokerlog to graph the temps on the stoker without a problem. I can also change the target temps on the stoker, reset stokerlog and get the correct new target temps to read out on stokerlog.

Now am i supposed to be able to change the target temps on the stoker by using the stokerlog on my pc??? Meaning that i can make changes in the comfort of the house to the stoker via stokerlog??

Sorry if its a dumb question, just a little confused.

Rich

Indeed you can! Just be careful. Make sure to refresh data from the stoker and make sure your pit sensor and blower are still associated. I had trouble this weekend with them becoming disassociated. Amir's looking into it.

Originally posted by Rich S:
I am sorry if this is a very stupid question but i just got my stoker.

I have upgraded the firmware. I can get stokerlog to graph the temps on the stoker without a problem. I can also change the target temps on the stoker, reset stokerlog and get the correct new target temps to read out on stokerlog.

Now am i supposed to be able to change the target temps on the stoker by using the stokerlog on my pc??? Meaning that i can make changes in the comfort of the house to the stoker via stokerlog??

Sorry if its a dumb question, just a little confused.

Rich
Yes, you can fully control stoker from stokerlog. The only thing that it doesn't do is associate a probe with a blower. I routinely adjust the target temp from stokerlog to slow or speed up the cooking. I rarely if ever use the front panel controls of stoker.

Originally posted by BMerrill:
Get work in figuring this out!
I sent email to the developer. Hopefully he can figure it out as my machine is working fine.

Amir, While you are working on the software, could you go ahead and add ramp up/down events by temperature a choice as well in the timed cook area. If you remember this was discussed in this thread over a year ago.

Thanks.
Please refresh my memory. How is this supposed to work again?

Ramp Events or Automatic temperature adjustment.

When a specified sensor reaches a set target temp the pit temperature would be ramped up/down to a new target temperature.

Example. Cooking a butt at 225° and want to increase the temperature of the pit to 275° when the internal temp reaches 160°. Then reduce the pit temperature to 190° when the butt reaches an IT of 195°.

It would work something like the ramp events in this program.
http://www.krownsoft.com/Stoker/timers.zip

Yes, you can fully control stoker from stokerlog. The only thing that it doesn't do is associate a probe with a blower. I routinely adjust the target temp from stokerlog to slow or speed up the cooking. I rarely if ever use the front panel controls of stoker.

Hi Amir,
I have tried changing the temps on stokerlog and nothing happens on the stoker. What is the right way to perform this action?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Rich S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yes, you can fully control stoker from stokerlog. The only thing that it doesn't do is associate a probe with a blower. I routinely adjust the target temp from stokerlog to slow or speed up the cooking. I rarely if ever use the front panel controls of stoker.

Hi Amir,
I have tried changing the temps on stokerlog and nothing happens on the stoker. What is the right way to perform this action?

Thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You have to click on the button that lights up saying "update stoker." Updating stoker can take up to 10 seconds (and locks up the program while doing it) so I don't do it automatically until you have made all the changes you want.

Originally posted by BMerrill:
Ramp Events or Automatic temperature adjustment.

When a specified sensor reaches a set target temp the pit temperature would be ramped up/down to a new target temperature.

Example. Cooking a butt at 225° and want to increase the temperature of the pit to 275° when the internal temp reaches 160°. Then reduce the pit temperature to 190° when the butt reaches an IT of 195°.

It would work something like the ramp events in this program.
http://www.krownsoft.com/Stoker/timers.zip
Ah, I understand. I thought you meant some kind of gradual temp change. This is instead automated temp change based on conditions.

Hello everyone. Guess what? There is a new version of stokerlog
icon_smile.gif
. Version 6.8.

I need some volunteer testers. I have changed development environments which completely broke the setup for the program. I have recreated it but I may have missed something. Unfortunately due to a bug, I can't make a single file install. So you have to download a zip folder and then run "setup.exe" out of it. Here is the link: http://www.madronadigital.com/Downloads/Stokerlog.zip

New here are:
1. You no longer need admin privileges to run it.

2. A few user interface clean ups but no new features.

3. Ramped Temp implemented. You can select up to two triggers that change the fire temp. The triggers are your food probes and temperatures. You set them up in Settings->Ramp Temps. A dialog pops up. If you have not started stokerlog yet, it will prompt you to let it read the configuration. Say OK and it will do that after a few seconds.

Then you should see your food probes populated in the drop downs. Select the one you like, put in the temp that it must reach to trigger, and what should then the new fire temp be.

Note that the priority order is from top to bottom. So if you create overlapping conditions, the last one wins.

When done, hit Apply. You can leave the window up or kill it with "x" on top. Note that this only programs the settings. It does NOT activate them. To make them active, you need to check a new box on the main page called "Ramped Cook." Click that, hit start and you are good to go!

Please test this first in your living room before committing to a new cook. There can be serious issues with this version. Have the old install handy and go to that if you need to cook and this one doesn't work.

I'll do some living room tests today. Did you find/address anything related to the F5 issue and disassociating probes?

Originally posted by Gerd Hilkemeyer:
I'll do some living room tests today. Did you find/address anything related to the F5 issue and disassociating probes?
Sorry, I forgot to test that scenario. I am away from home but will try when I get back on Tuesday.

Had a weird one ... the one and only sensor connected suddenly went from being fire-control to a food probe when I was changing temperature setpoint. I had to restart the Stoker to fix this problem.

So I upgraded to v6.8 and this behaved better, but I didn't change the temperature set point.

So I had a good first experience with v6.8

Just tested 6.8, and the association problem seems to be gone. For me at least. Woo Hoo! Thanks Amir. Tested it with 1fan/2probes and 2fans/6probes.

I uninstalled V6.7 and installed the 6.8 from the link above. I have the following observations:

Uninstalled 6.7
Unzipped the 6.8 zipfile.
Needed to manually install .NET Framework 4 Client in order to do the install.
Launched the newly installed StokerLog and it said that it couldn't run without .NET Framework 4.0. Downloaded and installed .NEW Framework 4 - Full. I seem to remember V6.7 taking care of that on the install....

The probe association problem is still there for me. I'm not surprised, because I'm convinced that it's an issue with the Stoker unit itself, not StokerLog.

Now to setup for the cook!

Amir,
I downloaded and installed the newer version.
I set it to simultate and was playing with the Ramp feature.
I set the first ramp (see screen shot), when I hit 'Apply' I got the below error.

Good one there. It was caused by the second probe being left blank. I fixed it. For now to play with the version you have, fill in both lines.

Back