StokerLog Version 4.0 Preview

Originally posted by Ken Brown:
Amir,

I used the Stokerlog text file. I also imported it to Excel. In fact, I'd like to send you the file to show you an idea for an enhancement one day. There is a bug in that area however. I could not change the filename for the log file. Actually I could change it, but the change is always ignored.
Thanks Ken. The file name gets saved and restored under File menu. Otherwise, it will always default to the same name.

You got me thinking though. I put that mechanism in there before I added logic to save all the settings without that. So I just changed it so that it lets you change the default.

I also noticed that the fan readout displays only intermittently on the graph, NBD. No other issues at this time, the software is making my life easier, so thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ken (from the GD forum)
I don't quite follow this one
icon_smile.gif
. Do you mean the fan indicator is not accurate in that it doesn't always indicate when the fan is on or off? If so, you need the new stoker software posted at the beg. of this thread.

If you mean it does not display correctly, then I need more explanation as to what you are seeing.

Originally posted by Amir:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Brown:
Amir,

I used the Stokerlog text file. I also imported it to Excel. In fact, I'd like to send you the file to show you an idea for an enhancement one day. There is a bug in that area however. I could not change the filename for the log file. Actually I could change it, but the change is always ignored.
Thanks Ken. The file name gets saved and restored under File menu. Otherwise, it will always default to the same name.

You got me thinking though. I put that mechanism in there before I added logic to save all the settings without that. So I just changed it so that it lets you change the default.

>> It's not the setting name, it's the log file name under settings/advanced that's it's not keeping. StokerLog.txt

I also noticed that the fan readout displays only intermittently on the graph, NBD. No other issues at this time, the software is making my life easier, so thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ken (from the GD forum)
I don't quite follow this one
icon_smile.gif
. Do you mean the fan indicator is not accurate in that it doesn't always indicate when the fan is on or off? If so, you need the new stoker software posted at the beg. of this thread.

If you mean it does not display correctly, then I need more explanation as to what you are seeing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(No Big Deal) It will display on some areas of the graph but not all. ie. from 8:15 until 9:10 then stop for a while. However the fan was still running, it just wasn't recording. I did not save my graph this time or I would have sent it. THe check box to record the fan was never unchecked. But like I said, that's not a big deal at all. I'll keep notes and give you better data on my next cook.

Ken, when you save the settings, in there, I also save the name of the log file. In other words, if you changed the log file name to foo.txt, and then went under the File menu and save it (with yet another name for that), the log file name would get stored in there.

I probably confused you more than not
icon_smile.gif
. Net, net, there is a way to get the program to remember the new log file name but the new method works as you expect. So don't worry about it. I will post the new version soon so that you all have it for 4th of July.

While I am typing this, anything else folks want before we make 4.0 final?

Ken, when you save the settings, in there, I also save the name of the log file. In other words, if you changed the log file name to foo.txt, and then went under the File menu and save it (with yet another name for that), the log file name would get stored in there.

icon_smile.gif
. Net, net, there is a way to get the program to remember the new log file name but the new method works as you expect. So don't worry about it. I will post the new version soon so that you all have it for 4th of July.

Hi Amir:

Maybe in the next version you could enable Stokerlog to be able to log multiple Stokers. I'm assuming that John has agreed to send a second unit to you.

This version is great, thanks Amir.

GordS

Amir,
Minor bug (very minor) found. To reproduce:

1) Start StokerLog. Click Simulate and click the "simulate input" checkbox.

2) Click "start logging"

3) Click the "simulate input" checkbox again.

Unhandled exception error.

-Matt

Gords,

Do you mean enable the logger to log multiple blowers/smokers attached to one Stoker Controller?

(I would like to see this also, a seperate graph for each smoker and its associated probes)

Or do you want to monitor and log more than one Stoker controller at the same time?

(If this is the case I think thay you would just run a seperate instance of the logger program for each Stoker controller, and just point each to the different IP addresses of the controllers.)

-- Barry

icon_smile.gif

I must have an incorrect version of something. I have V4.0 of you stuff, 2.0.259 stoker, Xp-Pro sp2 w/all currect updates. & .net framework 1.1 + hotfix ,2.0 , compact 2.0 sp2 & 3.0. No matter what I do, if I change the files name of the log file, it changes it back to Stokerlog.txt and there is nothing I can do to make it keep the change, even for an instant.

One interesting thing does occur, If I save the currect setting, it defaults to my docs~/stoker and starts the stokerog.txt there. But if I do not save or load setting before I start, it saves stokerlog.txt in \programs\sttokerlog\stokerlog. Hummm .

It's not a real problem, I know what it's doing and how to deal with it. shoot, I started with C:>ren stokerlog.txt newname.* I think I started with dos 2.2 on a 8088 dual floppy drive lunchbox.
icon_smile.gif

Here is the updated version 4.0.

Ken, I put in the fix so that it remembers the changed log file without doing anything else. Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

There are also a few other bug fixes. For example, the alarm used to go on/off if the temp oscillated above and below the target. Now the alarm goes on and stays on.

http://la.gg/upl/StokerLog_4RC.msi

Enjoy!

Sure, I would like your program to adjust the top vent on my BGE so the Stoker is able to perform optimally
icon_smile.gif
. Other than that anything new would be like extra whipped cream and cherries on a sundae.

Thanks for the note Ken. My next major changes will be about automatic temprature control as you suggest in your spreadsheet.

Question is, what is the right temp change. As you know, with some cooks like pork butt, the temp becoming stable and even going down a bit is part of the cooking process and one would not want to turn up the temp.

What we should do probably is start gathering the collective wisdom on what recipe would work for each cook. I would then be able to put pre-sets in there for each one.

Originally posted by joe thomas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:

Sure, I would like your program to adjust the top vent on my BGE so the Stoker is able to perform optimally
icon_smile.gif
. Other than that anything new would be like extra whipped cream and cherries on a sundae. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think an automatic vent is not out of the question at all. Maybe we can put pressure on John to have him build the controller for it. And have someone fabricate the "servo control" (motorized system) for it.

I'm new to the board, just got my stoker the other day and have been playing with the various versions of your program. Pretty slick, I must say!

I'd really like to see the ability to view and control the stoker through your program, but over the web rather than on my PC console. I know I could use a VNC client to get access to the PC, but that's really overkill for what I need.

If I could get a .jpg rendering of the current graph (updated every minute or so), and if there were some sort of XML-ish interface for getting and setting the control values (i.e., I dump a file with the new values I want into a particular folder and the program picks it up), I'd be all set -- I can write the web app to do the rest.

Any chance of something like that, either in this rev or in the near future?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Here's a bug I just ran into:

Installed the v4RC version, clicked and dragged on the graph (sort of by accident), got the following exception:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AmirM Software\StokerLog' is denied.
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey)
at Microsoft.Win32.Registry.SetValue(String keyName, String valueName, Object value, RegistryValueKind valueKind)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.RegistryProxy.SetValue(String keyName, String valueName, Object value)
at StokerLog.Settings.SetIPAddress(String path)
at StokerLog.StokerLog.URL_TextChanged_1(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnLeave(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.NotifyLeave()
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.UpdateFocusedControl()

Looks like a permission issue with the registry... In the registry, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AmirM Software\StokerLog doesn't have "full control" permissions for my login, or for the administrators group... If I modify it, the app works as expected.

Marty, the stack trace shows that you tried to change the IP address and when it tried to save it, it could not.

Can you verify that is what made it crash by changing the IP address?

Can't figure out why you don't have write access to that field, when you were able to install the program which creates them. What version of Windows are you using and is it a corporate machine with special policies?

I see stack trace, but I was simply dragging on the graph, to zoom it it. That was the first thing I did after installing and starting the app (goofy thing to do first, I know, but it was really an accident).

Home machine, XP professional, I'm an administrator, nothing strange about the installation.

The root of the problem seems to be in how the registry section is created initially I think - do you do it at install or on the fly as it's accessed?

OK I am trying to get up to speed, I just got my Stoker and will be using it tomorrow, I have been reading about this logger, so I downloaded it from the link provided snd it gives me the "problem encountered" message
will it run on win 2000,
What else does the logger do ?
What else do I need to know about the stoker tricks .....

Originally posted by Mike Oliver:
OK I am trying to get up to speed, I just got my Stoker and will be using it tomorrow, I have been reading about this logger, so I downloaded it from the link provided snd it gives me the "problem encountered" message
will it run on win 2000,
What else does the logger do ?
What else do I need to know about the stoker tricks .....

I have no way of testing it on Win2K. But I know at least one other member uses Win2K and it works there. At least earlier versions did.

If you can cut and paste the exact message, that might give me a clue as to what could be wrong.

For now, I assume the browser works when it connects to the stoker?

The program shows a graph of your cook, and is able to set sophisticated alarms in your PC so you can tell if something goes wrong remotely, or when your food is ready. It also can remind you at regular times to go and do something to your food. It tells you how long the cook has been going. Whether your fire is stable. Having it keep the food warm when finished cooking, etc.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Barry H:
Gords,

Do you mean enable the logger to log multiple blowers/smokers attached to one Stoker Controller?

(I would like to see this also, a seperate graph for each smoker and its associated probes)

Or do you want to monitor and log more than one Stoker controller at the same time?

(If this is the case I think thay you would just run a seperate instance of the logger program for each Stoker controller, and just point each to the different IP addresses of the controllers.)

-- Barry

Sorry Barry, I did mean to enable the logger to log multiple blowers/smokers attached to one Stoker Controller?

Gord

Originally posted by Marty T.:
I see stack trace, but I was simply dragging on the graph, to zoom it it. That was the first thing I did after installing and starting the app (goofy thing to do first, I know, but it was really an accident).
It is still possible that it is the IP address field that is causing it. I wait until the "focus" moves away from the text field before attempting to save the value to registery. So the fact that you clicked on the graph, caused the program to accept the IP address and attempt to write to registery.

So I suspect you can repeat the problem by just changing the IP address.

Home machine, XP professional, I'm an administrator, nothing strange about the installation.

The root of the problem seems to be in how the registry section is created initially I think - do you do it at install or on the fly as it's accessed?
The installer creates those fields. The program simply changes the value but never creates a new field. That's why it is strange that it is able to install, but not modify.

Back