StokerLog Version 4.0 Preview

Originally posted by Barry H:
Any time you tweak the vents or make adjustements it takes at least 5 to 10 minutes to settle down. Maybe longer. My smoker takes about 6 or 7 minutes to just to recover from opening the lid.

I would rather see a short term average that has a window of about 12 to 15 minutes.

Yes, but then it will then take at least 20 to 30 minutes after the vents were adjusted before you'll know if your tweak gave the desired result.

Is it my imagination or does the fan operate differently with new firmware? My fan now seems to blow in much shorter "puffs" as opposed to long blows in the past. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Will V4 work with the latest Official firmware and it just doesnt have the blower feature etc or do you have to upgrade to the Alpha version?

thx

Originally posted by Jim Smithson:
Will V4 work with the latest Official firmware and it just doesnt have the blower feature etc or do you have to upgrade to the Alpha version?

thx

I used V4 the other day with the old firmware without issue. From what I can see the only difference is the way the fan operation is charted.

Originally posted by joe thomas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Smithson:

thx

I used V4 the other day with the old firmware without issue. From what I can see the only difference is the way the fan operation is charted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. The new firmware sends a new message for the fan but the program decodes both the old and new (although since my stoker runs on latest software, I am not testing the old scheme anymore).

I updated to version 4 of the Stokerlog and did an 8 hr. rib cook yesterday. Everything seemed to work fine, except for the Lid Open feature. I could not get the feature to work. I checked the box and unchecked a few times with no change. Is there something else I need to do? I could not find anything in the help file.
I finally just lowered my target temp everytime to about 150 so the fan wouldn't keep running and the alarms wouldn't go off.
Am I doing something wrong? I didn't have a problem with previous version.

Using it for a cook right now. So far the logger is working very well. I'm a bit frustrated that I won't be able to monitor from work tomorrow- something seems screwy with my dsl connection and port forwarding.

With that situation in mind, email alerts would be a great feature. The best part for me would be setting it up to email me notifications on my cell phone.

One thing I'm noticing is that the ETA doesn't seem to mean much. I've got a fairly large piece of meat currently at 70 degrees and a target of 190 - the ETA is in two hours. Am I misinterpreting this?

Originally posted by Randy Hill:
I updated to version 4 of the Stokerlog and did an 8 hr. rib cook yesterday. Everything seemed to work fine, except for the Lid Open feature. I could not get the feature to work. I checked the box and unchecked a few times with no change. Is there something else I need to do? I could not find anything in the help file.
I finally just lowered my target temp everytime to about 150 so the fan wouldn't keep running and the alarms wouldn't go off.
Am I doing something wrong? I didn't have a problem with previous version.

I had to change the lid detection setting to 5 instead of the default 8 to get it to work. I also noticed that if I kept the lid open a little longer the lid open detect feature also kicked in. I didn't get a real chance to test the keep warm function but I did attempt to test it. Late in the day I enabled the keep warm function then set the target temp to the current temp, waited a few minutes and the keep warm function did not kick in. The wife started getting upset with my "playing" so I hastily finished up. At this point I can say for sure the lid detect works on a BGE when set to 5, but it doesn't kick in if I just peek under the lid I have to leave it open for about 15 or so second. I can't confirm if th keep warm function works or not I need to test a little more.

Thanks Joe. I tested Keep Warm on my GD cooking a brisket and the default did not work well. I have it lowering the temp at 98% of the target temp. But this meant that the food did not achieve the target, even though my smoker took a while to cool down.

The new default is 99% so you may want to change this in advanced settings before trying it. In the update software, I hvae also increased the temp as currently, it only sets it to food target+5 and I don't think that is hot enough to allow the cook to finish.

Good to know the lid open parameter for your grill. I picked 8 randomly and it seems to work for mine but other numbers may be more optimal.

Found a small issue that would be great to have fixed. If the connection to the stoker is lost, you have to reconnect the logger app. When the app reconnects it overwrites existing data in the log file (even if it has the same name).

It would be great if the log file already existed to prompt the user to overwrite, append, or create a new log file. It would be great if an append loaded the previous data into the graph.

Ken, currently the program keeps appending to the same file. Can you test again and see how the file got overwritten?

As to prompting,I will put it on the todo list.

As for lifting the data from the graph, that is a bit more work but let me think about how to do that. Is this useful to people though?

It looks like the file isn't overwritten, that was just my assumption given the new graph.

Just my two cents, but being able to see the entire span of a cook, even if the app or the stoker crash or there is a network issue would be great. As it sits now I'd have to pull things into Excel to get a useful chart.

OK, reading the log file and populating the graph with it is fair bit of work. I need to know if folks still use the log file enough, and needs this feature bad enough for me to spend the time on it.

Thanks for your vote Kerner
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Amir:
OK, reading the log file and populating the graph with it is fair bit of work. I need to know if folks still use the log file enough, and needs this feature bad enough for me to spend the time on it.

icon_smile.gif

I have yet to use the log file and am quite pleased with everything as it is.

Originally posted by Amir:

icon_smile.gif

Hi Amir:

I'm with Joe I have never used the log file. I find that the app is all I need.

Thanks

Originally posted by joe thomas

I have yet to use the log file and am quite pleased with everything as it is.

I agree I am sure that everyone has something we would like to see, Heck I would like to see it have a defrost mode, it would save me 2 or 3 days in the fridge
icon_smile.gif
).
But we all have to realize that Amir has developed this program on his time with his knowledge, and I know we all appreciate his work on this. It is a great program.
As of right now it does more than I ever imagined it would and has more features than I personally will ever use.
Just being able to graph my cook and make changes from the Stokerlog is all I really need and more than I had hoped for.
Of course new features are always cool but sometimes more is not better.
I would like to give Amir another big THANK YOU for your time in developing this program.

While I agree that I don't want to give Amir additional work, I like the idea that there is a log file for each cook. It allows the ability to graph one cook against another...

I have used the log once when after a 14 hr cook, my son "X"d out Stokerlog...so I lost my graph (boo hoo). But I could pull up the log and graph it in Excel.

I am using V4.0 (with the latest Official firmware) with great success. I have not tried the auto lid feature...I just lower the target temp to 100 prior to lifting the lid...

I am using notes on the graph for the first time. I did notice one small bug, if you want to call it that. I right-click on the graph to add a note and as I was typing the note, the graph adjusted itself as it does every now and then to extend the X axis out for more time. The adjustment then put my graph note in the wrong spot...not where I right clicked. Soooo, a very very minor bug if you want to call it that.

I love this program!!

Amir,

I used the Stokerlog text file. I also imported it to Excel. In fact, I'd like to send you the file to show you an idea for an enhancement one day. There is a bug in that area however. I could not change the filename for the log file. Actually I could change it, but the change is always ignored. Once I discovered this, I copied the Stokerlog.txt file and did some work in Excel with that file.

I also noticed that the fan readout displays only intermittently on the graph, NBD. No other issues at this time, the software is making my life easier, so thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ken (from the GD forum)

I've only used the software one time, but absolutely love the log file. When I smoke pulled pork, I almost always do it overnight while I sleep. I like the ability to do a little "post-analysis" on the smoke in Excel, and the log file allows me to do this. If you don't have Excel, there are a couple of free options available for graphing your data.

1) docs.google.com offers a free online spreadsheet. You need to make sure your log file name has the extension ".csv" to import the data properly. This requires no installation, only a web browser for you to use.

You can find a sample here: http://tinyurl.com/32mo6h

The chart is on "Sheet 2".

2) http://www.openoffice.org/
This website offers a free "office" suite that runs on Windows. It will also work quite nicely for graphing results from your Stoker cook.

-Matt

Back