Stokerlog 7.0 Release

Every time it times out the StokerLog stops responding. I'm probably going to set up my old WRT54GS as an adapter and use that instead of the built in Wifi.

I went to a wired connection and have had good reliability with both the Stoker and Stoker log. However, on a long, over night cook, I had a quick power brown out. The stoker reset but StokerLog hung. Now, I'm looking to UPS the Stoker. I do wonder however, if Stokerlog could be programmed to be more forgiving when dealing with connection loss.

Still, its a very useful and function program.

Gary

Older versions of storkerlog rang an alarm on lost connection. The current versions keep retrying to reconnect to stoker. You can test this by power cycling the stoker while stokerlog is running. That said, there are always tough corner cases with networking that are hard to troubleshoot.

Note that you can kill stokerlog, restart it and ask it to read its own log to catch up to the point of the crash. Then start it from there on. This is under File->Restore Previous Cook or simply hitting control-p. YOu can try it now and it should recall your last cook if it has not bee too long (it deletes the log if it has bee more than a couple of weeks I think).

On losing association with the blower, this has been a long standing bug. There has never been a reproducible test situation where I can replicate it. Last set of diagnostics pointed it to being a problem with stoker itself.

My Stokerlog Tweeting has stopped working. It stopped working around 2 June. My configuration hasn't changed. I can Tweet from the browser on the Stokerlog machine. I re-authorized stokerlog and it seems happy. The tweets it sends simply do not appear in Twitter.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks, Pete

Is there a way to set a low/high alarm on a monitor probe with no associated blower? It would be really nice to set up a fire alarm that alarms when a low or a high temp condition exists.

I've been using the stoker since I purchased my smoker and am trying to learn to to smoke the analog way, without the fan assist. I figure it is time to learn the basics and want some practice with manual airflow control. It would be really useful if I could use the stoker/stokerlog to aid in this.

Thanks, Pete

Is there a way to set a low/high alarm on a monitor probe with no associated blower?

I figured this out, or at least a work around. I've connected the fan, it isn't installed in the smoker.

It'd be great to be able to do this without the fan installed, but works for my needs with the fan.

Different alarms for low or high temp might be nice.

I'm having trouble getting the Twitter function to work. I'm using the most recent version of StokerLog and have followed the directions. The setup says it was successful and my Twitter account shows that StokerLog has been authorized, but there aren't any tweets. Any suggestions? I tried contacting Amir directly but he hasn't replied yet. Thanks for any help.

Is 6.9RC the current version?

Yes. I've found it's very stable on my Windows 8.1 computer if the Stoker never loses network connectivity. I've found that the Stoker's internal NIC is pathetic. My wireless router is through one wall and about 6 ft away and the internal NIC on the Stoker will still lose a few pings. If I connect via Ethernet using an old Buffalo Ethernet adapter I had laying around the internet connection is stable. I recently did an all night pork butt cook and Stokerlog didn't lock up once.

Thanks for the reply.

I was curious because this thread is titled "Stokerlog 7.0 Release".

I use Stokerlog via a wired Ethernet connection and have no problems.

Is Amir still supporting this? I have a question. From the original post, point #1, he stated that you don't need Admin rights on Win7 to run but if I don't use an account with Admin rights, Stokerlog crashes at startup. If I use an Admin account, Stokerlog runs fine.

I also noticed that at times, the Stokerlog will say it is writing to the Stoker but I didn't change any settings....just curious what that is about since I am having temp issues with my Stoker. Wonder if the Stokerlog may be part of the issue.

Dave

Amir's last activity was 09-22-2013 11:15 PM so I would say no. I am buying a Stoker today and was looking around for software. Does anyone have other ideas? I will also probably start a new thread once I get it going.

I believe the Stoker log was the only one for Windows. At least it is the only one I have found. What I liked about Stoker log is that is connected via a telnet session so it could read the Stoker settings every second. I use Pit Pal on my Android phone so I can monitor the smoke but I have to hit refresh everytime I want to get updated information. I believe PitPal just queries the Stoker for the latest json data then parses it into the GUI, it isn't as fast as Stoker log is.

If anyone does have other suggestions, please let us know.

Dave

Is Amir still supporting this? I have a question. From the original post, point #1, he stated that you don't need Admin rights on Win7 to run but if I don't use an account with Admin rights, Stokerlog crashes at startup. If I use an Admin account, Stokerlog runs fine.
Hi Dave. I have to re-do my development environment to make changes but yes, I am still here :). Latest release should not require admin privileges. Is that what you are running?

I also noticed that at times, the Stokerlog will say it is writing to the Stoker but I didn't change any settings....just curious what that is about since I am having temp issues with my Stoker. Wonder if the Stokerlog may be part of the issue.

Dave
You mean when you hit the Update button?

Amir's last activity was 09-22-2013 11:15 PM so I would say no. I am buying a Stoker today and was looking around for software. Does anyone have other ideas? I will also probably start a new thread once I get it going.
Sorry guys. Been busy with many other projects :). Stokerlog seems quite stable right now and I don't plan to make changes to it unless there are any critical bugs.

Hi Amir,
To my knowledge, I am using the latest Stokerlog. I will check the program version number when I get home. For the writing to the Stoker, nope, didn't hit the Update button, just sitting watching the program run and notice it stating 'Writing to Stoker'...

Once I get my Stoker back from Rock's, I will try to get more detailed info as to when the 'writing' happens.

Dave

My Stoker is setup for a wired connection.

I believe the OS is Windows 7 Pro SP2, I will verify that when I get home.

Dave

Back