Stoker WiFi software delayed

Saw this on Rocks BBQ web site today:

NEWARK, Ca., September 19, 2011 – Due to unexpected circumstances, the release of the WiFi software has been delayed until January 2012. We sincerely apologize for the extended delay of the software.

Wow - 4 months!

Thanks for the info. Hate to hear about the delay. I was seriously thinking about a Stoker but wanted to wait for the software rather than downloading. Not sure what I'd do now. May go with the bbq guru cyberq ii.

I just got my Stoker yesterday. It's a great product but they really need to stop telling people it has WiFi.

They are mis-leading a lot of people. Heck mine even came with a manual for v2.7 saying it was WiFi enabled.

I have a bad feeling they are going to get a bad rap unless they start being up front with people.

whoa whoa whoa...

there product details claim wifi... but the current products don't actually have the software support for it yet!?!?

if so, that's a CROCK.

Hang on a minute folks. There has never been any misleading info put out by Rock's Bar-B-Que regarding the new WiFi version of the Stoker. The original press release stated that the new black box, which is the one that will be WiFi capable, would need to have a firmware update once the software was complete. The firmware update is a very simple download which can be installed on the unit with the use of an Ethernet cable. You can also send the unit back to Rock's if you want them to do it. There is no charge for that service but shipping charges will, of course, be incurred.

Rock's has been very open and upfront about the fact that the units were not WiFi capable upon their initial release and they have clearly stepped up and made it public that the software was being delayed. In addition, they are continuing to sell the new units at a discounted price until the new software is ready.

Sure, it's a bummer that there is a delay but that doesn't mean they misled anyone.

The fact remains that the Stoker is still the premier forced draft system and I think the new box is excellent. I received mine just yesterday and love the changes. My previous control unit is easily 4 years old and the new black box is much heftier and think the added input on the back and blue display are excellent updates. I've been using a Stoker to control our 4-WSM competition system for years and have never had a single problem and that time period encompasses about 85 contests in all kinds of locations and weather, not to mention at least another couple of hundred test and practice cooks done at home.

Over the years, I've become pretty close to the guys at Rock's Bar-B-Que and they care a great deal about getting this WiFi thing right and putting a top quality product in all of our hands. They would be the first to tell you how disappointed and frustrated they are that this delay has happened but this is what they had to do and I think they are doing the right thing.

For anyone who would consider buying a different product just because of the delay, I would encourage you to reconsider. Investing in a Stoker is one of the best things you can to do improve your cooking and I'm confident you'll be very happy with the new Black Box control unit as it stands right now and you'll fall in love with it all over again once the WiFi software is ready and installed.

What Vincent says is true. When I ordered mine back in late July, Rocks BBQ made it clear my Stoker would ship with the Wi-Fi disabled and a software update would be available mid to late September.
The unit still works great and I have used it twice for my overnight cooks with a wireless bridge we had around from my sons X-Box. I wanted to be able to use stoker log and Twitter functions which both worked well with the new unit. I like the new display and the black color hides those sauce finger prints from handling. With that said, the unit will only get better once they figure out the software issue.

Probably not the best business plan for Rocks BBQ but that’s how they roll. I have no regrets on my purchase and look forward to the software update.

Wow that's crazy. The big 40pt font across the middle of the page that says "NOW WITH WIFI" stands out a little more than the smaller 12pt text off to the side that says "The WiFi firmware is scheduled to be released in January 2012". All the item descriptions say they have WiFi too.

I didn't realize they didn't have WiFi until I saw this thread.

I'll experiment more my smoker without an ATC for a while. The wifi sounds great for long cooks especially in bad weather, but I don't want computer/software problems. I have enough of those already. It would be nice to have an ATC over the Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays.

I'm with Vincent and Mike. The guys at Rock's BBQ have been upfront with info on the firmware issues. They have had a couple of delays and put out press releases each time.

Plus, they are selling the new units at a discount until the fimware issue is resolved.

...And you can still use it 'stand alone', hooked directly to your computer, or with a wireless adapter just like (what is now) the old one.

And no other companies controllers will do everything the Stoker will do, even without wifi.

Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:
I'll experiment more my smoker without an ATC for a while. The wifi sounds great for long cooks especially in bad weather, but I don't want computer/software problems. I have enough of those already. It would be nice to have an ATC over the Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays.

If you are thinking about an ATC I would snap up a Stoker while it is discounted. I have an older Stoker that I used an old router I had lying around to make a wireless connection to my laptop and use Stokerlog. I eventually flashed dd-wrt firmware to the router to connect the Stoker to the internet and take advantage of all WIFI features. It works fantastic. This would certainly get you through the holidays till the software is finalized. The only computer/software issues was my own ignorance but I have sure learned a lot about home networking in the process. For that reason I am glad my Stoker didn't have built in WIFI. Try it, you'll like it. Dan

My above post assumes that the new Stoker still has a connection for a cable. Maybe it doesnt since the WIFI is built in. Dan

Originally posted by Dan Francis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:

If you are thinking about an ATC I would snap up a Stoker while it is discounted. I have an older Stoker that I used an old router I had lying around to make a wireless connection to my laptop and use Stokerlog. I eventually flashed dd-wrt firmware to the router to connect the Stoker to the internet and take advantage of all WIFI features. It works fantastic. This would certainly get you through the holidays till the software is finalized. The only computer/software issues was my own ignorance but I have sure learned a lot about home networking in the process. For that reason I am glad my Stoker didn't have built in WIFI. Try it, you'll like it. Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan,
I'm pretty much computer ignorant when it comes to networks and such. I like the idea of buying before the price increase. I've got a shopping cart at Roc's that's a little over $500 right now and I'm not going much higher. I did include the $10 cable that allows me to connect directly to my laptop.

I'd also like to use it without the computer. I want to get familiar with things one at a time. First, the smoker, then the ATC, and then the computer/wifi set up. Easier to troubleshoot.

I'm almost there with the smoker although I've really just followed advice here and in the manual. So far, I haven't cooked over 5 hours though.

Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:
Wow that's crazy. The big 40pt font across the middle of the page that says "NOW WITH WIFI" stands out a little more than the smaller 12pt text off to the side that says "The WiFi firmware is scheduled to be released in January 2012". All the item descriptions say they have WiFi too.

I didn't realize they didn't have WiFi until I saw this thread.

THIS

Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:
I'd also like to use it without the computer. I want to get familiar with things one at a time. First, the smoker, then the ATC, and then the computer/wifi set up. Easier to troubleshoot.

That's exactly what I did. First year smoker only, second year got Stoker and later figured out how to make a direct wireless connection to my laptop, then this year I got it hooked to the web. IP address's, mac address's, DHCP, ports, lans was all greek to me. I'm still a networking dummy but the old Stoker forced me to get some knowledge of these things. It's been fun and I have since fixed some internet problems around the house that would have required a few hours on a help line before. This site has been a great help. Good luck! Dan

Gary, please don't buy a $10.00 Ethernet cable.

You can get all you need right here
www.monoprice.com
Direct Link to cables: http://www.monoprice.com/produ...c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Also I couldn't agree more with the 40pt font claiming they have WiFi. That's False advertising, plain and simple.

What they should do is revise their site to focus on the other features the new Stoker Offers. i.e. a much better case and the ability to add WiFi in the future.

Originally posted by Dan Francis:
Looks like Website has been changed

Haha, that has to be the quickest anybody has ever listened to me
icon_smile.gif

Off-Topic: Dan we should get together, I'm from Geneva.

Originally posted by Mark Kennedy:
Gary, please don't buy a $10.00 Ethernet cable.

You can get all you need right here
www.monoprice.com
Direct Link to cables: http://www.monoprice.com/produ...c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Also I couldn't agree more with the 40pt font claiming they have WiFi. That's False advertising, plain and simple.

What they should do is revise their site to focus on the other features the new Stoker Offers. i.e. a much better case and the ability to add WiFi in the future.

If you are hooking directly to your computer you need a crossover cable, not a ethernet cable... but monoprice.com is still the place for all your cable needs.

Back