Stoker WiFi software delayed

Originally posted by Chris Finney:
If you are hooking directly to your computer you need a crossover cable, not a ethernet cable...
Most modern PCs and routers have a feature called Auto MDIX which means you no longer need a crossover cable. Any ordinary ethernet cable would work.

I will say that it worries me that something so easily achieved in other, non BBQ related devices, seems to be such a challenge here. My $49 photo printer links plug & play to my wireless network and I'm no techie. I'm not sure how a well thought out and marketed product can't do the same.

In all fairness, James, your $49 plug and play printer is likely being manufactured and marketed by a multi-million (if not billion) dollar company with a team of software and code writers whose sole function is to handle that product. So, while I understand your point, it isn't really an "apples to apples" comparison.

Truth be told, I'm more than guilty of being a cheerleader for Rock's simply because I'm a true believer in their product and the people behind it. I know that many of you feel the same way and I sure don't want anyone to think I'm picking on them for offering up some defense for the boys.

I sure can understand folks being disappointed by the delay. I am too. John & Kenny are just telling it like it is right now and we all know that's the best thing to do.

It is Vincent (a Canon actually) and that wasn't a fair comparison "apples to apples".
However, I wouldn't think that this aspect of the unit is being "built and tested" in the back room of the shop (but I could be wrong). IMO, if Wifi was to be provided, it should have been tested and approved prior to marketing and especially sale. Caveat emptor for those of us that bought on spec I guess.

I really like the Stoker system and, as I mentioned, have had good experiences with Customer Service. I think this is why I'm surprised and disappointed with the lack of communication regarding the issue.

No one is more dissappointed about the software release delay than John, the owner of Rocks BBQ. I can only agree with all of the supportive comments about the product and it is worth the wait. Just remember, you can still connect it to a gaming adapter to have WiFi now just like the White box units.

Here is an update Rocks BBQ put on Face Book regarding the WiFI software update:

"Thank you very much for your patience. We are working diligently on the WiFi firmware and plan to have it released in one to two weeks. We had underestimated the effect WiFi would have to the software as a whole. In initial testing the performance was too slow. We were unable to achieve the speed and performance needed without modifying the existing architecture, which has been much more work than anticipated. These issues coupled with unavoidable schedule conflicts have created unintentional delays. We are confident in our product and it is not our intention to further delay the release of the firmware. We will release the firmware as soon as possible. We appreciate everyone's support and understanding."

Back