Stoker under the tree - sort of

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
Merry Christmas to me. I opened a VERY light box from my wife, and it contained a coupon for a Stoker. Seems they were all out, but gave her an anticipated ship date of January 17.

Mmmmmmm. More good cookin' coming my way.

Jeff
dont feel bad my wife was crying this morning my stoker arived but no blower or probes
i have a digi q but she was tired of me calling her while i was at work or running around with the kids to adjust the temp ect. we had lots of plans for the neext few day including cooking and she was really looking forward to supriseing me hopefully i can get it straightened out in the morning

Just keep calling him until you actually talk to him. I must be lucky I never had an issue with getting a hold of John. I have called once to order and once for a setup question and another time was just asking about getting an extra fan and probes.Always got hm on my first try.You will love the stoker.

EStewart, in my experience the best time of the day to get John on the phone is around 9:00 a.m. Pacific. DO NOT rely on email. Once you connect with him he'll take good care of you.

Congrats on your new toy . . . I mean temp control device, you guys will love it! ES, you'll love being able to monitor your cook from the office whether through SMS, email or dialing in live, it's soooo cool.

Good luck guys!

My wife, too, ordered me a Stoker. She, however, didn't receive any gift certificate or receipt of any kind. She was told initially that it'd ship the last week of December, but later received an e-mail stating it'd be Jan 17. Subsequent attempts to contact John have failed. I'm hoping we'll connect soon.

From the bit of studying I've done, I think John has a kick-butt product on his hands. I just hope that his customer service picks up a bit, and that he can make the product/company all that it has the potential of becoming.

Meanwhile, I (im)patiently sit waiting for my new toy... err... tool.

Estewart, not sure when John updated his site, but it looks like it would be difficult to order the Stoker w/o the blower/probes and not know about it. John is a stand-up guy and will make good on what was ordered.

I spoke with John earlier today... he said that he's backordered on the food probes. However, he's going to be sending mine tomorrow with the rest of the items... I can at least get started with that.

I can't wait! Christmas is coming!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJensen:
It came today! Complete with the food probes!

Thanks John! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! My wife was given the January 17 date also, so now you've got my hopes up that it will be coming earlier than that. John told her that he'd been featured on a local TV show, and was flooded with orders after that.

I'd give him a call... see if you can "persuade" him to send you one quickly.

I did have a small quality issue with my Stoker... one of the front buttons doesn't work unless you press it hard enough to push it through the back panel of the box... gotta see if I can get a replacement.

I did a test run today. I have to say that it looks like it's going to be some great smoking ahead of me.
icon_smile.gif

I've sent back my unit... I'm told I'll have a replacement unit by Friday. I'm planning on smoking something this weekend.... not sure what, yet...

DJensen, I'd go with a long cook, butts are great. Gives you ample time to observe your new unit, how it works etc. My .02

Mine arrived, but without the food probe. Bummer. Hopefully it will show up soon, else I'll start to call John and bug him!

I just completed my first cook with my new Stoker.. some good-looking ribs. It was a fun experience, being able to do it all from inside, with no peeking involved! My compliments to Jon on an outstanding product!

Come on DJensen, those are the details you give? Did you use Stokerlog or Stokers browser interface, did you go wired or wireless, did you go networked at all or stand alone? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sure.. I'll give details....
I went wireless into my home network, via a bridge.
I have a home automation PC on which I ran StokerLog for monitoring. I VNC into that machine to watch things from whatever computer I happen to be nearby.
Temperatures were about 32* on the low end, and I was thinking I might have the temperature issue that's been spoken about. I had not one lost connection!

In the end, life conspired against me to be able to enjoy the ribs for supper. So, I'll be finishing them on the gas grill tomorrow. They smell great, and I can't wait!

lol... I used to have the reputation as a hard-core bbq/griller, and I agreed with them. However, since I've come across this site in the past month, I now realize that I'm a rank amateur, and not nearly as hard-core as I once thought. This site is great, and I look forward to learning so much more.

Thanks!

Dave

Woo hoo! My Stoker arrived today, and I've been working my way through the manual.

One question:

How do I choose a wireless bridge? I'm looking for the lowest price that will do the job.

Jeff

I will be using a powerline ethernet adapter when my Stoker finally comes. You have to have power to your Stoker anyway... and there is usually no configuration required.

powerline

Note: Even though this devices use an industry standard interface, different brands are not necessarily compatible.

Curt

Powerline is a good idea. Used to use if for my home network, so I've got a couple sitting around.

I actually decided to order a 100 ft ethernet cable for about $15. It's an easy run from my router, through the basement, and out to where I set up my WSM. From what I read that will be the most reliable system - at least until I get more familiar with the system.

Jeff

Back