Stoker on a High temp cook - A little advise please

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Ok, I am trying to use my Stoker(2nd time ever), for the first time on a High temp cook on my wsm 350°. Cooking a meatloaf. Anyway I cant seem to get the wsm over 315°. I am also using a ceramic base instead of the water pan (First time trying this as well)

Anyway I have the other dampers open as well.

Anyone have any experience doing this with the Stoker, your advise would be greatly appreciated.

I've never used a Stoker but I'm guessing you need to get rid of the heat sink--the ceramic base--though eventually you should overcome it. However, when you do my guess is the Stoker will have a harder time maintaing as the radiation from the base will make it difficult.

I eventually got the temp up, in-order to do so I had to prop the lid open with a screwdriver.

When I went back out to look at things I noticed a lot on smoke being blown out of the lower dampers. I think I was smothering the fire.

I had a similar problem Sat night with Tri Tips, could not get temp up above about 300 (no ceramic thing, just foil lined water pan, no water).

Tonight I did 4 meatloafs (in 2 cooks), and was able to maintain 350F throughout the cook. All I did different was to open the bottom two vents that are normally kept closed with the Stoker, they let enough air to get the temp up, and the Stoker could still control the temp well enough.

Smoked meatloaf is good, now we have enough to last a while in the freezer.

-gbeck

I find the biggest issue I've had in the past with the high temps was when I didn't start with enough lit, when shooting for 350 I now use no less than one full chimney of lit on top and have little problems getting the bullet up to 350 and holding it there.

Might as well also mention that for the above I use the stock water pan foiled on both sides, for easy cleanup, no water obviously.

For hi-temp cooks, I've been removing the Guru and just using it's hole (drilled) for airflow.

A full chimney of lit lump, wide open vents and tilted lid will get it to 350-375.

Back