Stoker Log 4.2

Originally posted by Steve Story:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Brown:

You should also set up a static IP on your laptop if you're running them direct.

This is funny, I finally found the thread that I had seen before -- and wouldn't you know it Ken, it was a thread where you were explaining this to someone else. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/2990056605

I have the LAN set with the static IP address that is the same first 3 sets of numbers and 5 different for the 4th.

So I think I'm okay on the LAN settings. That brings me back to something with the Norton application that is blocking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That should do it. Set the gateway address to the routers address. For linksys I think it is, by default, set to 192.168.1.1

I stopped using Norton a long time ago because it was always "messing with me." Sometimes when it would update, it would decide that I didn't know what I was doing, so it would change settings that screwed everything up. But there are issues with all Internet Security Software. I like Trend Micro, but run AV and AS only and let my router protect me from hackers. No problems after 6 years on high speed comcast.

Ken - I think you are right that Norton is causing all my problems. I just can't find a single setting to temporarily disable it -- I have found several individual things I could turn off till the next time I booted. But halting all of things I could find manually, still wasn't killing the one thing that is blocking StokerLog.

I'll just have to keep checking or just start using versiong 5 of StokerLog and run it in HTTP mode only. It's nice, just not as fun as watching real-time temps.

Ken - I think you are right that Norton is causing all my problems. I just can't find a single setting to temporarily disable it -- I have found several individual things I could turn off till the next time I booted. But halting all of things I could find manually, still wasn't killing the one thing that is blocking StokerLog.

I'll just have to keep checking or just start using version 5 of StokerLog and run it in HTTP mode only. It's nice, just not as fun as watching real-time temps.

Have you been to the Symantec web site to look for solutions? If you bought the CD, you can un-install it, check the problem, then re-install it with out problems. If you downloaded it and did not get the extended download, you may be stuck with it. I would also try one last thing. If your router has wired ports, set your devices back to DHCP and try that first. Cables are cheap at www.monoprice.com .

Ken, I do have the CDs for the Norton application. But we also use the laptop in the living room to surf the internet so I need to have some sort of protection software set up.

The thing is, the router is in the back bedroom (office) next to the our big PC and I have the laptop and Stoker box out in the living room. I used to connect the Stoker box to the router via a long ethernet cable. I'll set that back up so I can test that this indeed is a Norton issue (if it works while connected to the router).

If so, then I'll be searching the Symantic site for help on how to temporarily disable Norton (although I'm running the same Norton application on the PC as well).

Thanks again for the help. This gives me some direction to try.

Or permanently disable Norton by going to control panel, add/remove programs
icon_smile.gif

If you're looking for an antivirus suggestion, I've been very happy with Avast

Home edition is free.

Originally posted by Todd D.:
Or permanently disable Norton by going to control panel, add/remove programs
icon_smile.gif

If you're looking for an antivirus suggestion, I've been very happy with Avast

Home edition is free.

I will second the recommendation of Avast.
I deleted Norton because it was a pain and downloaded Avast after reading a lot of positive comments on it, and haven't looked back. It will let you know if something isn't right and take care of it.

Steve,

Take the stoker with one probe and the laptop to the room with the router to see if Amir's program will stay on-line via telnet. While you're in there, you can dump Norton. I haven't used Avast but I've heard good things. Another free one is AVG. You can the free edition at http://free.grisoft.com. Their Antispyware is good also, even though the free edition does not block spy-ware after 30 days, but it will continue to remove it. Your router and OS is all the firewall you need.

Thanks guys. I'll take the stoker, laptop and a probe to the router and will run another test tonight. I'll let you know what I find out then.

I'd hate to dump Norton right now since I've paid for a full year. But if that is my only option, I may have to go that route at least on the laptop.

Thanks guys. I'll take the stoker, laptop and a probe to the router and will run another test tonight. I'll let you know what I find out then.

I'd hate to dump Norton right now since I've paid for a full year. But if that is my only option, I may have to go that route at least on the laptop.

I think you'll find that after un-installing Norton, your computer will appear to have gained a lot of horsepower. When I finally gave up on mine, it seemed like I went from a VW to a Ferrari.

Let us know how the test went.

Okay, so I moved the Stoker and temp probe back to the office and connected directly to the router (I also reset the Stoker to DHCP to obtain an IP address). I started StokerLog 4.2 on my main PC (also running the Norton Internet Security) and after 5 minutes it gave the pop-up window about the Stoker box being hung and it stopped communications -- but the box was not hung.

I went back out to the living room to see what the laptop would do running ver 5. It would not connect and gave me a very long error that I sent to Amir -- it looks like it was seeing a second fan so it tried to launch a second browser for that pit. I unistalled ver 5 and reinstalled ver 4.2 on the laptop. I ran for over 45 minutes with no erros -- the Stoker was connected to the router and I was using the Wireless connection on the laptop with Norton running to connect to the Stoker on the network.

So, that gives me hope that maybe I can get this to work with Norton and the laptop. I'm going to get a cross-over cable again and see if that helps. Prior to installing Norton on the laptop, I could use either a cross-over or regular ethernet cable. But now I'm wondering if Norton is not liking the direct ethernet connection -- so maybe the cross-over will work better.

I need to be able to connect directly from the Stoker to the laptop so I can use this setup at comps or cooks away from the house where my network is set up.

Norton doesn't care about the crossover cable, believe me, that's a function of the network card only. Send screenshot of the IP properties screen, I feel the problem lies there.

Back