Stoker Log 4.2

Looks like your guess is right that something is blocking access from stokerlog. Strange that it allows it to run for a while and then blocks it.

Debugging the other problem should be easier. Do you mind going into the browser, then right click and tell it to "View Source." This should pop up notepad with the HTML text in it. Select all of it, then copy to clipboard and paste in a new message here. I can then run it through my program under debugger to see what is up.

Steve,

I think your problem may be with your Laptop. Some of these go to extreme energy saving modes when they sense no activity and it very hard to control. It's kinda like the old dialup connections trying to download a big file and it keeps timming out. Did you try it with a dekstop machine?

Originally posted by Amir:
Looks like your guess is right that something is blocking access from stokerlog. Strange that it allows it to run for a while and then blocks it.

Debugging the other problem should be easier. Do you mind going into the browser, then right click and tell it to "View Source." This should pop up notepad with the HTML text in it. Select all of it, then copy to clipboard and paste in a new message here. I can then run it through my program under debugger to see what is up.

Thanks Amir, I'll get it going and will post back a copy of the source code.

The only thing I can think of is Norton causing this as that is the only application I can recall installing since the last time I successfully used StokerLog. So I tried to temporarily turn it off yesterday but still had the error. I was running McAffee when I used to use StokerLog.

Originally posted by Ken Brown:
Steve,

I think your problem may be with your Laptop. Some of these go to extreme energy saving modes when they sense no activity and it very hard to control. It's kinda like the old dialup connections trying to download a big file and it keeps timming out. Did you try it with a dekstop machine?

Thanks Ken. I would have thought it was the laptop also, but I had been able to successfully run StokerLog for a couple of months prior to Christmas. I havent used it in awhile while I was making repairs to my smoker. So that is why I'm really puzzled now. I really enjoyed using the application and it sucks having to just go back to scanning the temps on the Stoker box
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Steve Story:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Brown:
Steve,

Thanks Ken. I would have thought it was the laptop also, but I had been able to successfully run StokerLog for a couple of months prior to Christmas. I havent used it in awhile while I was making repairs to my smoker. So that is why I'm really puzzled now. I really enjoyed using the application and it sucks having to just go back to scanning the temps on the Stoker box
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said you were running it directly. Are you running it through a router or wired directly in?

Ken, I have it wired directly in with an ethernet cable from the Stoker box to the laptop. I just have to disable the wireless device on the laptop.

Amir, I ran the StokerLog with the HTML Only option checked and it ran fine this time -- I stopped it after 50 minutes. I did not find any way of viewing the source from the StokerLog application.

I then unchecked the HTML Only option and started the log again. It gave me the "Stoker is hung..." message after 14 minutes of running. I then checked the HTML Only option and started the log. It gave me the status message of not being able to open the Stoker Web -- I got this message after running the log for 3 minutes.

So, how can I get you a source code for your application when it is running? Or are you talking about just the source code from the web browser that is just view the Stoker web data? That one is just the normal IE browser window going to the IP address.

Even after StokerLog stopped working in either HTML mode or not, the web browser view was still able to get data when I refreshed the browser (not sure how to get IE to autorefresh).

Thanks again for any help.

Yes, I need the HTML source output from the browser, not my stokerlog. Just right click in the browser window while you see the stoker output.

On your issue, the browser page for the stoker only refreshes once every 10 minutes. So seeing the display doesn't tell you that it is really working. Hit F5 or selet refresh from IE menu to force it to read the stoker again. My bet is that IE will also complain. But let's confirm.

Amir, I ran StokerLog without the HTML Only checked. I also ran a web browser viewing the Stoker Status. After 13 minutes, StokerLog gave the pop-up window with the "Stoker has hung" message. I refreshed the web browser window and it gave refreshed values on all 5 sensors.

Here's the source code -- I posted the source code and then realized it contains the serial number to the probes and fan. Is there a better way of getting this source code to you?

Steve,

Since you are running a cable directly from your laptop to the stoker, you should run both devices with a static IP since there is no DHCP server in the loop. You should also use a crossover cable, crossing 1&2 with 3&6 or a crossover adapter, even though your adapter seems to have adapted on it's own, some do.

Ken, yes I have a static IP address set up on the Stoker.

I first started with a crossover cable and it worked. So I tried a regular short ethernet cable (that I already had) and it worked also. So I returned the crossover cable. I have done probably 8-9 successful cooks with the direct cable prior to end of December.

Am I forgetting to change something on the laptop that I had been changing before?

Steve, there is no security issue with having your serial numbers in the wild. No one can do anything with them.

But feel free to email them to me using amir.majidimehr at gmail.com.

On hanging issue, given the test you just ran, some program is blocking stokerlog. If the browser runs, then HTTP in my program will work just the same. There is a zonealarm type program is blocking it.

Originally posted by Amir:
On hanging issue, given the test you just ran, some program is blocking stokerlog. If the browser runs, then HTTP in my program will work just the same. There is a zonealarm type program is blocking it.

Amir, I sent the source code to your email.

Yes, it looks like I am able to run the HTTP in your program. But it won't run for very long if I run it and uncheck the HTTP.

The zonealarm type program has to be the Norton application. I'll have to find a way to completely disable it I guess.

I'm guessing StokerLog is retrieving too much data and the Norton app determines it some sort of spam or hack after 14 minutes of getting data and then blocks it -- maybe the anti phishing feature... I don't know.

Originally posted by Steve Story:
Ken, yes I have a static IP address set up on the Stoker.

I first started with a crossover cable and it worked. So I tried a regular short ethernet cable (that I already had) and it worked also. So I returned the crossover cable. I have done probably 8-9 successful cooks with the direct cable prior to end of December.

Am I forgetting to change something on the laptop that I had been changing before?

You should also set up a static IP on your laptop if you're running them direct. If you are not, it's hanging on to what it already knows but might still be looking for resolution. On XP, you can use DHCP and still set up an alternative static address. Just make it match your normal router range, but outside the range that would normally be used. You can plug it into your router, let it get an address, then reserve that address in your router for your laptop. Router also allow you specify a range of address it will assign. I'd use an address outside that range for an alternative address. So if your router is set to assign address from 100-254 , use an alternative of 75 for your laptop (192.168.1.75)

BTW, for those interested, I've been trying for months to get my Stoker to work outside the network by port forwarding 80 to my Stoker IP. It never worked... until today, thought it was my router. I had my stoker on a static IP outside the auto assignment range of my router. Today, I reset my stoker to DHCP, got an address, and told my router to always assign that IP to the stoker. Now it works outside with port 80 and 23 so I can run my stoker remotly. 'bout time

Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now it works outside with port 80 and 23 so I can run my stoker remotly. 'bout time

Ken, which Linksys Router are you using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I am now using a Netgear KWGR614, I was using a Belkin until yesterday. I have information on all the Linksys routers, is there something I can help you with?

THe most common problem I see when people port forward. They create a rule for this new port. A router follows these rules line by line. And in alot of cases this new rules is applied near the bottom of the list of rules. Most routers have a rule to block all ports. If your new rule is after this command line then it sees the rule to ignore all ports and it stops. What you want is to move it up the list so it allows the port you assigned then the next command is to ignore all other ports. I have fixed alot of issues with Cisco, D-link and Linksys routers by moving any ports i need to forward above the command ignore all ports.

You should also set up a static IP on your laptop if you're running them direct. If you are not, it's hanging on to what it already knows but might still be looking for resolution. On XP, you can use DHCP and still set up an alternative static address. Just make it match your normal router range, but outside the range that would normally be used.

Ken, I think you may have figured it out. I told you it had been awhile since I used the program. I just remembered that I used to have the Stoker box connected to the Router and I connected the laptop via wireless. I only did 1-2 cooks with the Stoker box connected directly and I had found an article that explained how to set the static on the Stoker and the laptop.

The Stoker is still set with the static IP but I can't seem to find that article that explained how to set up the laptop with the static address -- would you be able to give me some directions? Thank you.

is there something I can help you with?

Just looking for some help in setting up port forwarding once I get my Stoker back. I was kicking around the idea of buying a SOHO router with a built in VPN for access to access my Stoker. But, if I can setup my WRT54G (with a little help) to work I'll save the money and buy some wood or maybe some extra probes. I thought that you had a Linksys unit, but now I'm starting to think it may have been Bob. Unfortunately the Linksys interface is not as straight forward as the screen shot of the D-Links Virtual Server setup.

You should also set up a static IP on your laptop if you're running them direct.

This is funny, I finally found the thread that I had seen before -- and wouldn't you know it Ken, it was a thread where you were explaining this to someone else. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/2990056605

I have the LAN set with the static IP address that is the same first 3 sets of numbers and 5 different for the 4th.

So I think I'm okay on the LAN settings. That brings me back to something with the Norton application that is blocking.

Back