Stoker - From outside my local network

Crap, don't know what I was thinking but I'm actually using two wireless routers on my Network. A 2Wire 2701HG-B which is connected to my DSL connection and then I have a WRT54G connected to the 2Wire router. I know it's a funky setup but it's necessary as the WRT54G has an "Access Restriction" feature that the 2Wire unit does not i.e. I can set the time of the day that the VoIP phones are active, when SO's son can connect to the Internet, when his X-box 360 can connect to the Internet etc. Interesting, just got a call from the High School. Looks like Internet is going off for a couple days. Anyway, anyone have experience with a 2Wire wireless router?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Crap, don't know what I was thinking but I'm actually using two wireless routers on my Network. A 2Wire 2701HG-B which is connected to my DSL connection and then I have a WRT54G connected to the 2Wire router. I know it's a funky setup but it's necessary as the WRT54G has an "Access Restriction" feature that the 2Wire unit does not i.e. I can set the time of the day that the VoIP phones are active, when SO's son can connect to the Internet, when his X-box 360 can connect to the Internet etc. Interesting, just got a call from the High School. Looks like Internet is going off for a couple days. Anyway, anyone have experience with a 2Wire wireless router? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Set the 2wire router to bridge mode, it your model supports it. This will allow the linksys to control everything. You will need to put your DSL username and password into the linksys for authentication.

I setup something similar on my in-laws system last year. They had a crappy dsl modem/router combo, but wanted the advanced features of the linksys. I was able to set the dsl modem/router combo to bridge mode, basically turning it to one of the older "dumb" passive modems. Post your 2wire model number and I can look into if this is possible.

Sorry to hijack this thread guys. Thanks J, I think what I'll do is try and disable all router capabilities on the 2Wire (bridge mode) and just use it as a modem with my WRT54G as my router. Looks like a project for tonight. I'll let you know how that goes!

This was an old thread that was dug up today, and we are ontopic, were not hijacking anything.
icon_smile.gif

Bridge mode is possible on your modem/router. This link describes how. You will then need to set the linksys to PPPoe authentication mode, and put your dsl username password in. Att does not block port 80 in my area, so you should be good to go.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/amfaq/2.8_2-Wire_Home_Portal

Sweet Jay, thanks so much for the assistance! Any issues when using your Treo with your Stoker?

None so far! This weekend was actually my first cook with it. I never really thought about using it away from home until I realized I needed to run to the supermarket in the middle of the cook. A light went off in my head, realizing the stoker had a web interface. I jumped on the router config page, fwd port 80 to the ip of stoker, browsed to my IP address on the treo blazer browser, and there it was like magic. While I was at the store I decided I needed the food done a little sooner, so I upped the setpoint to 245, no issues, works great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay B:

I dont have that router, but your setup makes sense. Only thing I can really suggest is to make sure you are browsing to http://xx.xx.xx.xx:53487 where the x's are your external WAN ip address. You might also try different ports until you find one that works. I use the ftp port of 21 for my slingbox because it doesnt get blocked by the firewalls at work
icon_smile.gif

Also, the ip that you have assigned to the stoker, .151, is usually in the DHCP range. Make sure that is what the stoker is actually using presently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DHCP is only on the first 50 addresses starting at 100, so I have it reserved at a static IP. I can access it inside the network without any issues. I hit the external IP address with the port number and no luck. I try the external IP address with the port number from inside the network and it hits it fine. I have also tried 10 different random port numbers. Just cannot get there from outside. I wonder if Comcast has some crazy blocking going on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyS:

DHCP is only on the first 50 addresses starting at 100, so I have it reserved at a static IP. I can access it inside the network without any issues. I hit the external IP address with the port number and no luck. I try the external IP address with the port number from inside the network and it hits it fine. I have also tried 10 different random port numbers. Just cannot get there from outside. I wonder if Comcast has some crazy blocking going on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what your doing. Something funky is definitely going on. Where are you trying to access from? Work? If its a corporate type environment, all ports except 80, 8080, 443, and 21 might be blocked outbound. Thats what I do for a living
icon_smile.gif
This might be hard to get around if your isp is blocking normal web traffic inbound, and your work is blocking everything except web traffic outbound. One port I leave open on our network is 3389 for citrix and remote desktop connections, its worth a try. Your isp cant block everything inbound, keep trying, you will find one that works.

There is also the possibility that the fancy port forwarding on you linksys doesnt work well, ive never used that type of redirection on home equipment. Might be worth making sure the firmware is up to date.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyS:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay B:

I dont have that router, but your setup makes sense. Only thing I can really suggest is to make sure you are browsing to http://xx.xx.xx.xx:53487 where the x's are your external WAN ip address. You might also try different ports until you find one that works. I use the ftp port of 21 for my slingbox because it doesnt get blocked by the firewalls at work
icon_smile.gif

Also, the ip that you have assigned to the stoker, .151, is usually in the DHCP range. Make sure that is what the stoker is actually using presently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DHCP is only on the first 50 addresses starting at 100, so I have it reserved at a static IP. I can access it inside the network without any issues. I hit the external IP address with the port number and no luck. I try the external IP address with the port number from inside the network and it hits it fine. I have also tried 10 different random port numbers. Just cannot get there from outside. I wonder if Comcast has some crazy blocking going on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've the same issue with 3 different routers. All three work fine if I forward a port that has been assigned by the DHCP server. try that first, set your Stoker back to DHCP by changing the first 3 digits to 255 and press select 3 more times. Also, judging from the screenshop, that router does not support port translation, so just type in http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.html from the outside world, leave off the :xxxxx. Also make sure remote management of the router is not turned on. Your WAN ip address is located on that router on the status page.

I have been fighting this for a week now. On the phone with Roadrunner cable, Linksys. Firends that are network engineers. Been hitting our IT guys at work for help and suggestions. etc...

Thanks Ken, your last post made the difference for me. Once I set the Stoker to DHCP viola!! it works.

For anyone with Roadrunner as an ISP, FYI they do not block port 80 any longer.

UPDATE:
Well isn't that just a pisser. I finally am able to bring up the stokers web page from my HTC 8525 smart phone, and wouldn't you know it, I try to update the temp setpoint and I get an error "415 Unsupported type". Dagnabit

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Thanks Ken, your last post made the difference for me. Once I set the Stoker to DHCP viola!! it works.

For anyone with Roadrunner as an ISP, FYI they do not block port 80 any longer.

UPDATE:
Well isn't that just a pisser. I finally am able to bring up the stokers web page from my HTC 8525 smart phone, and wouldn't you know it, I try to update the temp setpoint and I get an error "415 Unsupported type". Dagnabit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news is, you can at least watch it from the golf course. The error generated was a result of bad data being sent to the post process. This was probably due to a bug in your Smart Phone. I say bug, they might have put it there intentionally and now you have the opportunity to expand your INTERNET experience for only $9.99 a month. Either way, it's the phone. If you go to a computer and bring up the page, you'll find that there isn't a value you can put in there that causes it to fail, text or numeric. I'd call the cell phone provider and ask if there is a firmware update to your phone that might fix the problem. You can also google it on line to see if anyone has had the problem. Check out this link. http://www.htcamerica.net/support/8525/software-downloads.html

Thanks Ken, I looked into the firmware upgrade, I am already at the latest. I believe you are correct, the problem is definitely my phone, time to contact Tech support.

On another note, I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Linksys Level 3 Tech support and they were unaware of any issues pertaining to using a static IP with the port forwarding. While I was on the phone with them, they replicated the issue on their side and logged a bug against their firmware for development to look into.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
Thanks Ken, I looked into the firmware upgrade, I am already at the latest. I believe you are correct, the problem is definitely my phone, time to contact Tech support.

On another note, I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Linksys Level 3 Tech support and they were unaware of any issues pertaining to using a static IP with the port forwarding. While I was on the phone with them, they replicated the issue on their side and logged a bug against their firmware for development to look into. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've done well grasshopper. Making tech support, for a company that size, admit they have a problem is a great and mighty feat, you should be very proud. To be honest, most users of the low end router never try to do what we're doing and a problem such as that might not ever be reported on some routers.

BTW, if your phone has more than one way to input numeric values, try that first. IE, keypad vs phone-pad. I'm not sure what your phone looks like so it's just a wag on my part. What happens on a post process is all data is coded first, then sent as one big long string of coded data back to the server. The post processor decodes the data and updates the values. Your data is corrupt and that could be due to misinterpretation of the values you're putting in. You should also try Hitting the update button without changing anything to see if that also bombs. Tell tech support the results.

Interestingly enough, I set up my phone to connect to the wifi on my home network and when I connect to the stoker that way everything works. It appears that only when I am posting the data via the 3G network is when I am seeing this occur. Have yet to get in contact with TS on this issue, to busy working to spend that long on hold
icon_biggrin.gif

Ken you right, it can be tough to get a company to admit there is a problem, I've just been in the industry long enough to know how to get the right person to help, and how to guide them along the process of proving it themselves.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

I also modified my Linksys to us DHCP and it worked. I just also tested from my smartphone. Motorola Q9M on Verizon WM6. I was able to see the stoker page and change data.

Wierd,
Now just playing around, no settings changed. When I try to post to my stoker from my phone, I get the page could not be displayed. But the write goes through. Go figure.

Man that is a weird bug ya'll found with your routers. I haven't experienced that yet. Nice find on the fix. Hopefully Linksys is quick with a firmware update.

After more experiments, I find that an IIS2 web server running on a static IP address will run just fine on the same router with port forwarding. It seems to be just the Stoker that is relevant here. Very Odd, I wonder what the router is looking for before it will forward the request.

Interesting Ken,
I fired up my IIS server and tested this as well. I am still having the DHCP vs. StaticIP forwarding issue.

Back