Stoker Fan Conversion

Jeff Smith

TVWBB Fan
Hi all. Looking for some guidance on adapting my stoker fan. I just scored a new-to-me 22 WSM (for $35!!!!) I mistakenly and stupidly assumed I could use the same "dog bowl" attachment from my 18. I see from looking around here that's not the case.

I removed the dog bowl and would like to adapt it to fit a guru adapter. I really like how easy it looks to put the fan on with the guru plus I could use it on my UDS as well. I haven't decided if I am going to drill a dedicated hole or use the vent hole - but that shouldn't matter right?

Has anyone found a way to trade out the dog bowl for a better adapter?

John K BBQ

TVWBB Fan
Someone should post a photo of the dog bowl... It's mentioned a lot but I've never seen photos. I've used the bbq guru adaptor with a lot of success, I think bbq guru still sells them. You can see how it works here ;

Good luck!

Jeff Smith

TVWBB Fan
Hey John, that's exactly the adapter I want to use, but I want to use the existing fan I have. Here is a pic showing what the fan looks like at the mounting plate and you can see the dog bowl behind it now that I have unscrewed it IMG_20200830_002237.jpg

J Grotz

TVWBB All-Star
I don’t think the stoker fan can mount to a bbq guru style mount. The dog bowl does serve a purpose. It acts like a manifold and diffuses the flow of air into the cooker, kicking up less ash.

John K BBQ

TVWBB Fan
most of the bbq guru fans that I've seen have a round male/slip in outlet, but of course I haven't seen all of them. Looks like I'm out of my element. Thanks for the photos of the dog bowl. I may need to get one of those for my Thermoworks Billows.

J Grotz

TVWBB All-Star
Thanks for the photos of the dog bowl. I may need to get one of those for my Thermoworks Billows.
Bob Bass mounted his Billows to a dog bowl. You may want to pm him. I can take close ups of the bowl and mounting hardware if you like.