Stoker Black Box wifi drops constantly

It is pretty easy. You log into your access point and change the frequency to a non-overlapping region (usually it is in the advanced settings of the wireless section). You want to space them out good as the link uses adjacent channels as you see in those graphs (what you program is the middle of the curve). So if it is on channel 1 now, you want to set it to channel 6. If it is 6, set it to 11.

OK, based on the above I downloaded a couple of analizers.

I am running a guest network on the same channel as the main network. Could that be a problem?
Also, running Linksys E2500 Advanced Dual-Band N router so two bands with a guest network.

Thanks again

art

Last edited:
Is the guest network from the same Linksys or do you mean you have another router running in parallel with that. If it is on the same router, no that is not a problem since that uses the same radio frequencies.

What does WiFi analyzer show? When you are standing where you normally use it, is another network sitting on top of yours?

Is the guest network from the same Linksys or do you mean you have another router running in parallel with that. If it is on the same router, no that is not a problem since that uses the same radio frequencies.

What does WiFi analyzer show? When you are standing where you normally use it, is another network sitting on top of yours?
I followed your advice and change channels and I eliminated the interference from other networks.

1. After doing some checking it looks like my network is a little weak.
2. The old unit using a Game Adapter works fine.
3. The new unit with built in Wifi drops sometimes.

I think the new unit does not have as strong a wifi capability as the game adapter.

Thanks again for all the help.

art

Last edited:
Just curious - what game adapter did you use?
I followed your advice and change channels and I eliminated the interference from other networks.

1. After doing some checking it looks like my network is a little weak.
2. The old unit using a Game Adapter works fine.
3. The new unit with built in Wifi drops sometimes.

I think the new unit does not have as strong a wifi capability as the game adapter.

Thanks again for all the help.

art

Yeah - I know - but I have one of the older white models and it'd be nice to just add the wi-fi adapter and go from there. I was curious which ones people seem to have success with. I might just email Rock's and see what they say. Thanks!

The new Rock's Stoker has built in Wifi

I had same problem with my stoker. Thought it was my signal strength,after trying a new router still would drop randomly. Then I decided to try assigning my stoker a static ip address,Problem solved. My router was changing the ip address during the cook. Not sure if that could be your problem but just an idea to look at.Good luck!

I had same problem with my stoker. Thought it was my signal strength,after trying a new router still would drop randomly. Then I decided to try assigning my stoker a static ip address,Problem solved. My router was changing the ip address during the cook. Not sure if that could be your problem but just an idea to look at.Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply but I missed your post and your idea could have been part of the problem so thanks.

I have the Stoke black box and have had it for a year or more. Actually I'm on my second one and I'm still having problems. The problem; I start it up, it connects to the wifi and everything plugs along great for a couple of hours or so. At some point in the cook, my monitoring devices be it the Stoker interface, the Stokemaster app, or Stokerlog will lose connection. I go out to the unit and check to see if the IP address is still there, and it has zeroed out (see photo below). I turn the unit off and reboot and the IP addy will come back. I've had his problem for a while and whenever I talk to the boys at Rock's BBQ, they tell me it's anything but the unit. I have cable Internet and bought a high dollar Linksys router so I dont think that is affecting it. I finally went to a computer systems and repair shop and got a computer guy to check it out. He recommended I set up a static IP addy. I changed the channels on the router to get a less busy channel and he came over and set up the static IP for me. Per Kevin at Rock's advice, I was going to run a 24 hour test with no 3rd party apps to see if it dropped the signal. I didn't need 24 hours as it dropped about 4 hours into the test. I got my computer guy to call Rock's and he said Kevin reluctantly agreed to replace the board and the antenna in my Stoker. So that leads me to today. Just shipped it out UPS and now I wait with the expectations that the same thing is gonna happen when it does get back. Anyone have the same problem or have any advice on how to maybe correct the problem I have? I sure could use some advice as this is quite annoying.

Just shipped it out UPS and now I wait with the expectations that the same thing is gonna happen when it does get back. Anyone have the same problem or have any advice on how to maybe correct the problem I have? I sure could use some advice as this is quite annoying.

@ Mike Minerich: Did you receive the new board, and did it solve your problem?

I'm wavering between a Stoker and CyberQ, and one thing that is causing me to lean toward the CyberQ are these reports of WiFi problems with the Stoker.

Thanks!

@ Mike Minerich: Did you receive the new board, and did it solve your problem?

I'm wavering between a Stoker and CyberQ, and one thing that is causing me to lean toward the CyberQ are these reports of WiFi problems with the Stoker.

Thanks!

I got it back Thursday and I'm assuming it has the new board and antenna. It seems to boot up quicker than it did before I returned it for repair. I did a test to see if it dropped for about 6-8 hours and everything was good. The stoker was in the house though so I need to take it out to where the pit is and try it there. Also my computer guy is coming next week to set up my static iP address, which Ive heard helps a bunch. I'm doing ribs and chicken tomorrow so ill let ya know how it goes.

Thanks!

Do a bunch of homework. Seems I've seen some problems with the Stoker, but I've also heard the CyberQ isn't very user friendly and a lot harder to set up. Ask around and see what others say before buying.

Do a bunch of homework. Seems I've seen some problems with the Stoker, but I've also heard the CyberQ isn't very user friendly and a lot harder to set up. Ask around and see what others say before buying.

That's what I'm doing now. Still haven't made a decision, but I'm leaning toward the CyberQ (cost is one consideration).

Thanks!

Also my computer guy is coming next week to set up my static iP address, which Ive heard helps a bunch. .
I've only had my Stoker a few weeks and have had the same problems you have with dropped connection. My router has assigned a new IP to the Stoker in the middle of cooks twice, so I'm going to try to set up a static IP, I may have to rent a teenager to set mine up.....let us know how yours works out.

Last edited:
I've only had my Stoker a few weeks and have had the same problems you have with dropped connection. My router has assigned a new IP to the Stoker in the middle of cooks twice, so I'm going to try to set up a static IP, I may have to rent a teenager to set mine up.....let us know how yours works out.

I've heard this complaint a few times, and when I do (as well as the need to "rent a teenager" to get things set up), I start leaning more and more towards the CyberQ. I haven't heard of similar problems with it...

Decisions, decisions...

Hey guys I've been following this thread because with my stoker I have the same problems. I bought a wifi extender and placed it next to the stoker and it still dropped. I also have the Cyber Q and it works flawlessly. My vote would go to the Cyber Q.

Got the same problem with my unit. At first I thought it was a distance issue - but I recently moved into a new house where my Stoker is no more than 15' from my FIOS router. And I've tested with a mixture of both StokerLog on my PC laptop and the Stoker app for my iPad. I was getting numerous freezes/crashes with StokerLog and random disconnects with the Stoker app. Only solution was to give the Stoker a manual reboot. At one point it ran strong for a good 5+ hours...but eventually crashed.
I still think the wifi setup is pretty confusing but I may do some experimenting on the whole static IP idea that a few of you mentioned.

Im starting to think Stoker released a big turd and they knew it. After returning it twice, I got a third one and it still drops. Bought a BBQ Guru the other day and am testing it overnight. Hasnt dropped once yet in 13.5 hours. Advice...buy a Guru.

Back