Stoker Black Box wifi drops constantly

I still think the wifi setup is pretty confusing but I may do some experimenting on the whole static IP idea that a few of you mentioned.

I tried a satic ip and it didnt work. I had a tech guy from a computer systems company working with me on my Stoker and he cant keep it from dropping yet. Remember when Stoker announced that they were releasing the box but it wouldnt be wifi ready until the firmware upgrade that they were gonna release a month or so later, and the firmware wasnt released until several months later? I think they said screw it and released it even though it wasnt ready. This problem is happening with too many people to be a cooincidence. My two cents.

Im starting to think Stoker released a big turd and they knew it. After returning it twice, I got a third one and it still drops. Bought a BBQ Guru the other day and am testing it overnight. Hasnt dropped once yet in 13.5 hours. Advice...buy a Guru.

I bought a CyberQ WiFi and tried it for the first time a few days ago. It performed flawlessly for a 12 hour brisket cook. No under/over shoots, and when I wanted to bump the temp up 5 degrees, it made the adjustment perfectly. So far, so good.

The only thing I don't like about the CyberQ is that it has a manual damper. This means that you have to manually adjust the damper to a proper opening for the temp you're seeking. Open too much, and too much air gets in and the temp spikes. Open too little, and the CyberQ fan is running constantly. It took some trial-and-error, but I got it dialed-in pretty well. Apparently the Stoker has an automatic damper and, if this is true, it's a feature CyberQ should add at some point.

FYI -- I bought my CyberQ from firecraft.com. VERY helpful people, lower price than BBQ Guru factory store, and FREE shipping! (No affiliation...just a happy customer.)

HTH.

Back