stok grill

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
anyone see the new stok 22 inch charcoal grill home depot is selling exclusively? looks prety nice and well made

I saw the ones that are on display but I did not notice anything different - what was different about the one you saw?

I was looking at an add for one of those,personally I kinda liked it,the interchangable grate idea was cool

I'd like to see it after a couple of years. A lot of grills look really cool in the store, but a year later its all hot and cold spots. If you buy one, I genuinely hope it is great for a very long time. Cool features... Hopefully it will inspire Weber to come out with even more toys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
anyone see the new stok 22 inch charcoal grill home depot is selling exclusively? looks prety nice and well made </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have a pic or a link? The site only shows a rectangular gasser.

Tim

what I can't figure out is what advantage you gain by having the extra stuff, like the veg grate, drop into the grate. Its similar to the weber system, and it doesn't seem as practical or flexible as just putting stuff right on the grate.

It's defiantly not a Weber. But it does look and feel well made. With an included CI grate and a pizza stone that's a nice price IMO.
I took a pic, and of course its orange.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

Thats the first I have seen of the stok charcoal grill. It looks pretty nice. Seems like a a good price.

Perhaps a little off topic
icon_smile.gif

My $99 Brinkman gasser looks like...errr...like it's 2 years old, and has been left out on the deck in the blazing FL sunshine and toad-strangling rain
icon_biggrin.gif
I don't believe in spending any time fiddling with a gasser...figure it's cheaper just to replace it.

This time, however, I want something a little bigger than a 2 burner...all the Webers are more money than I want to spend...the Stok (new Home Depot "house brand") gasser has caught my eye. Some of the reviews on the Home Depot web site dismiss it as a "novelty grill", but it might be fun to play around with the inserts. It certainly seems higher quality than the 4-burner Brinkman's and Char-Broil's I've looked at...

Anyone had any real-life experience with it ?

Dean...

i would look for a weber on craigslist. i thing that the stok is a gimick. will probably rust out like the rest of the cheaper grills. cant go wrong with weber!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
i would look for a weber on craigslist. i thing that the stok is a gimick. will probably rust out like the rest of the cheaper grills. cant go wrong with weber!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corey,

I'm a Weber fan as much as anyone, but the only "Weber" hits I get on Craig's List around here are carburetors
icon_smile.gif
The cheapest "new" Weber gasser at Home Depot was the E-210, at $399. It isn't much bigger than my current 2 burner Brinkman, but it's sure built well !

I went ahead and picked up the 4 burner Stok yesterday, at $299. As I've said, I consider it a "disposable grill", although I hope this one lasts a little longer...hey, I even bought a grill cover for it !

The Wife and I started putting it together yesterday, but got interrupted by the usual afternoon thunderstorm...finished up today. First impression ? I like the looks...has some cheesy parts, and some nice parts. The grill inserts are interesting (griddle, pizza stone, and "veggie basket").

On the recommended initial burn-in (15 minutes on "high"), the sucker got HOT !!! I'll be curious to see how that translates to a good steak, or a pizza on the pizza stone...the lid thermo was reading +600, but no way to know how accurate that is...didn't have my remote probe in place to measure grate temp !

Anyway, I'm on-line today, looking for recipes on what my first meal will be on the new equipment. I'm figuring maybe a couple of nice ribeyes ; we picked up some fresh local corn yesterday...the Stok web site has a recipe for grilled brussel sprouts... might try that in the veggie basket insert
icon_smile.gif

Dean...

So if it's disposable, $299 this time and $299 for the next one, and so on and so on . . .

How is that a good deal?

Having said that, it would seem that if you keep it out of the weather and take care of it, even a cheap grill can last a long time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
So if it's disposable, $299 this time and $299 for the next one, and so on and so on . . .

How is that a good deal?

Having said that, it would seem that if you keep it out of the weather and take care of it, even a cheap grill can last a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, Jerry...that's my point ! When would a Weber gasser need replacing ?

Yes, I'm an Engineer, and I've looked at the recurring costs...since I got the cheapie Brinkman that lasted 2 years for $99 bucks, I figure I gotta get 6 years out of this Stok grill at $300
icon_biggrin.gif
That's why I bought a grill cover for it, and actually read the Manual for the recommended maintenance ! The Stok warranty is for 2 years on the basic stuff, and 10 years on the burners...

Besides, it just has some fun options...hey, it's only money !

Tonight's menu is some fillets, and the grilled Brussels sprouts I mentioned...I'll post how they came out !

Dean...

Well, it's been a while since I updated
icon_rolleyes.gif

The grilled sprouts weren't as good as I thought they would be, but that's probably more due to "operator error" than anything wrong with the grill. They tasted good, but were a bit "crunchy"...longer grill time, next time !

Done several quick meals on this Stok, and I'm pleased so far...the thin cast iron grates leave a nice grill mark, and the unit does seem to get plenty hot ! Haven't tried the griddle, or the pizza stone, or checking on the furnished lid thermo, though.

I'll post my other thoughts to other threads, talking about the Stok...

Dean...

Even if it's as good as a Weber...why not just...get a Weber? It'd have to do some pretty snazzy things my current rig doesn't.

What would the draw be to this for a first time grill buyer? Cheaper?
If it's cheaper, WHY is it cheaper?

Why not just go with a Weber? :p LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
I'm a Weber fan as much as anyone, but the only "Weber" hits I get on Craig's List around here are carburetors
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm sorry to hear that. My first Weber gasser is an '00 Genesis Silver A. It needed grate (I had) flavorizer bars (found stainless on CL for $31), a cover (list price w/ free shipping from Weber) and a tank ($15 on CL) The next one was an '01 Genesis Silver B with a too small cover, tank and stainless grate and flavorizer bars that was free. Sunday I passed up a slightly older (Genesis 1000?) sitting on the curb because I had no need for it. If it had SS parts I would have snagged it. You need to come to the Chicago area! Some real bargains show up. And the grills I picked up cleaned up pretty nice and cook just fine. What seems to be uncommon/pricey around here are the Q grills.

Good luck finding a gasser that meets your needs.

Back