Stogie: Tell Me About The 24hr. butts again

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
Kevin,

Can you tell me about those 24 hour butts you made a while back? Do you still cook them that long? How big were the butts? Details, details, tell all.

Hi Jeff!

All the butts I cook are around 8 lbs.

I cooked these as you normally would....I keep a steady 225? so it takes 2 hours/lb.

I let this one go for 18 hours..it was done, but we were not ready to eat. So, I foiled it and closed all the vents in the cooker...this is to snuff out the fire. I then let it sit for another 6 hours and unwrapped. VERY little fat left and it was still very juicy.

I did not measure the temps....cooker or meat....after wrapping, so no idea what the final meat temp was. The cooker was still warm, but the fire had slowly died.

I have cooked several since then and followed the same procedure and they all came out very good. I think it just makes it easier to plan the cook and you will NEVER be done early or late! LOL

Hope this helps!

I have done the foil method after completing the normal cooking process on several occassions--all results were excellent, as Stogie described

Kevin,

Did you leave the butt unwrapped for 6 hours, or did you unwrap after 6 hours of sitting?

Hi jefft!

Cook it as you normally would, then wrap in foil. After foiling, place back inside WSM, close all the vents and let it sit for 6 hours...wrapped and inside the WSM.

Hope this clarifies!

Stogie, Kevin BBQGURU,

If I cooked 3-4 butts that were 4-6 pounds each would a 24 hour cook work do you think?

Jeff....

I would say NO......I think those are too small to hold for that long. They will cook as individual pieces...not one large chunk of meat.

A 6 pounder may be borderline. The 4 pounder will be done after about 8-10 hours and to hold for another 14-16 hrs. is a little too long...though I have NOT tried it.

2 things you may want to try.....

Tie them very tightly together and get a 10 pounder from them. Not sure how that would work but perhaps worth a try.

OR

Stabilize your smoker temps around 200?...that should add a few more hours to the time.

Let us know if you try anything like that!

Stogie and Dale,
Hate to draw this out but, because the heat is going down due to closure of vents, and meat is wrapped in foil, you just leave it on for all that time and it doesn't dry out??? I wouldn't do this with chicken or turkey, but I guess it would work with just about all red meat huh? Boy, that's the answer to my wife getting upset with me because many meals take so long after I promised they'd be ready. If I've got it right, I can't wait to try it!
Larry

Hi Larry!

Wives can be tough sometimes.....mine made me give up smoking for a year!! The food was ALWAYS late and mostly unedible. This was many years ago and she has fina;lly come around to enjoying the food's I cook....funny what a few winning ribbons wil do!

Anyway, the reason it does not dry out is because pork butt is about 25-30% fat. Hence the huge amount of meat loss when cooking. Now, also keep in mind, after it is "officially" done, I choke the fire out so it mimics a warming oven.

You are very corrrect in that doing this with poultry would dry it out. But that is a very lean meat.

You mentioned beef......for long cooks like this, you need to use a fatty cut of beef. Brisket is very familiar but also chuck roasts(the fattier cuts) work great using this method.

The leaner cuts of beef...steaks, rounds, etc.....would aslo dry out using this method...much too lean to survive long periods of warming time.

I would encourage you to try this! You MUST use a large one, 8-10 pounds, for this method to be effective.

General Rule of BBQing..........fatty cuts of meat should be slow cooked, lean cuts of meat should be quickly cooked.

Hope this is helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back