Stirin the Pot…( a brisket question)

RKruger

TVWBB Member
A friend who (as a proper Texan) swears the only way to cook brisket is low and slow. I being a transplant (worse yet a Yankee!) allow common sense to enter the fray and I swear by the high heat method. We frequently argue about who has the best technique for smoking a brisket. The other day I was asking him questions about his technique only to find out it is as follows: start the fire, put the meat on, make an attempt to stabilize the temps, and go to bed. He will then wake the next morning to find if the smoking gods were good to him or not. I then explained that I am constantly watching the temps and making slight changes to the vents to keep the temps as close as possible. He said that he simply doesn’t have the time to cook like this. (This gave me great argument fodder as I now refer to the low and slow method as lazy cookin) My question is: Is cooking a brisket defined by two methods (HH and Lazy
icon_razz.gif
)? Or is it more on a slide between the two extremes? Ie.. Medium heat with changing up the foiling times and stretching the cook out. I have a tough time keeping the smoker at 350° top cracked and door slightly open and was wondering how to scale the cook to a slightly lower temp if I have plenty of time. Or are we bound by the two methods (understandably with slight variations) for the best results.

First, 'proper Texan' or no, you can tell your friend that is it a myth that Texas brisket is defined by low and slow. Some of the most famous places in Texas do not low/slow briskets. (Unfortunately, low/slow or HH, Texas commercial joints also produce some of the most blandest brisket I've ever had...but that's another topic.)

We are absolutely not bound by the two methods. Variations can be numerous. One can, e.g., cook at 275, say, or 300. As you suspect, it will stretch the cook out at lower temps than I cook, but will shorten the cook for low/slow cooks. Add foiling into the equation (whether or not; when; how long for, etc.) changes the variation possibilities even more. And temps need not be constant either. One can start slow (like with a MM start - or even slower), ramping the temp later - or start high and bring it down.

Interesting Bob. Your friend really likes old school. I have to admit I'm somewhat envious of his simple methods, but with the knowledge and tools we have today (what would I do without my ET-73?), why not protect the investment of time and money to turn out the best brisket possible?
Generally speaking, aside from pure personal preference, I've heard that the HH method works well for leaner briskets (helps prevent drying out) and low'n slow for fattier ones. I've only done L&S with full packers so far but hope to try HH soon. Anyone else?

R Kruger, instead of prop n doors and lids I just do a heavy lit MM and let it run with all vents 100%. If you use a empty foiled pan and leave alone you may be suprised at what temps your WSM will achieve.

JMO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've only done L&S with full packers so far but hope to try HH soon. Anyone else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do Select and Choice at HH. I mostly buy no-roll briskets when I am in Florida so those can be anything - all the way up to top end Choice. i still do them HH. I do Primes and Wagyus low/slow. I cook packers exclusively.

I start my brisket cooks at 200 or so. Close the vents a bit and the just let the temp creep up, Will normally finish at/ about 300 deg. I make no attempt to chase temps, one vent adjustment and that is it.

K Kruger, if you were using lower temps would you change when you foil? I know originally you foiled at 160° (now I believe you just do it at the 2hr mark). I use 160° as I’m still required by some inner being to temp everything I cook at some point. I finish to feel.

Gary H. NJ, Old school… you should hear the chili arguments. Texas Red vs the chili the rest of the planet eats. Can you believe that people eat chili with no beans in it??? Most people put that stuff on pasta and call it spaghetti.

Glen W, I do foil my WP. I probably don’t start enough coals to begin with.

K Kruger, Wagyus… I would just stare at one of those and then lockup at the thought of cooking it. Funny I just spent over $100 on fireworks but wouldn’t consider it for a brisket. I may need to reevaluate my priorities.

Bill Spearman, You must know my friend…
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am constantly watching the temps and making slight changes to the vents to keep the temps as close as possible. He said that he simply doesn’t have the time to cook like this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't have the time to cook like that either - that's why I bought a WSM.

There's a name for that kind of method too.
icon_wink.gif

Nobody is bound by any method other than the one that works for them.

Instead of shooting for a temp that doesn't come easily for your cooker... Possibly just let the cooker do what it wants and adjust your times. I only believe in temps that are too high (scorching the outside) and temps that are too low (making beef jerky and wasting lots of time).... Everything in between is good for cooking, just cooks preference. If my cooker is runnin hotter, I foil earlier. If it's running lower, I foil later. I'm into loosely controlling temps, not fighting them. I would be more particular if I were competing or selling the food. That said, my Q has become very consistant thanks to this forum.

By the sounds of it, I'm a halfway between the Texan and the Yankee. Typical St. Louisan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Instead of shooting for a temp that doesn't come easily for your cooker... Possibly just let the cooker do what it wants and adjust your times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more!!! Don't fight it, 225-300 no worries! Bit higher is perfectly ok for HH brisket or poulty!

Travis H, I too have a WSM and enjoy it very much. That doesn’t mean 350° is easy to hold in windy TX. I am jealous of Larry R who uses a Kamado with a stoker. Look at his temp chart!!! He has about 2° of variation throughout his cook. Incredible! I’ll bet my oven isn’t that good.
Temp Chart Thread

Ernie D, That pretty much what I do. I can get the temps to settle if I don’t have too much wind. I have found it’s harder to nail down a higher temp than a lower one. I do need to experiment with my foiling times though. I too think of myself as a typical St Louisan (I grew up in Glendale)

Glen W, Murphy and his bunch got me today. I am cooking a brisket and needed to run to the store (should have been no more than a 1 hr trip). Well after complaining about getting my temps up… I came home to a 425° WSM and a 270° brisket. I got the brisket foiled and slowed the smoker to 325°. I think it will still be good.

I like LOW AND SLOOOOW like a old hound dog on a hot Sunday afternoon on a porch with a cold ice tea ! HH err this world is all in a hurry these days . But to each his own ENJOY Besides Iam to lazy to do HH anything except when iam grilling
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back