Still Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Have any of you guys/gals stopped smoking beef altogether due to the increased prices? I have. I have been wanting to do a brisket for a while now, but refuse to pay $2.00 (or more) per pound for it. I miss .79/pound brisket:-(

I haven't quit yet. Back in July when we had .39/lb briskets all over the place, and then again when a local market had a buy-one-get-one-free going on primal beef, I stocked up. I still have four or five left, of which I'm being very protective. Okay, tight. Greedy. Parsimonious, even. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C
Still smokin on Tulsa Time

Have just switched to more expensive cuts. We have been doing testing on bone-in rib roasts. $7.98 per pound at Costco. Ryan did a 14 pounder this weekend and I did a 3 bone 6 1/2 pounder. Good stuff on the WSM.

Had to get ready for cooking for three different events around Christmas. Planning on prime rib, crown roasts and salmon. I don't really care about the cost, it is Christmas and everyone will eat and drink well.

Finally broke down and got a medium sized freezer from Sears. I can't believe brisket prices. Of course just finding brisket in Alabama can be a challange.

Dennis,

Do you have a good recipe for the crown roasts? Also you cooking them in the smoker, low and slow?

/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gifHave refused to pay the price also. It's killin me. WSM is fairly new, and it has kept me (price) from doing a brisket. Price of butt keeps going up too. Probably will bite the bullet this week and buy one. Married into a Texas family and they have got to have brisket every now and then.

Me too, Mike.

We lived in Houston two years before I got my WSM and actually tried brisket. It is one of my favorite sandwiches now.

Since then moved to Alabama and the big briskets are a little scarce. At least the butts are plentiful.

I usually hit Smart and Final. The prices are high now, but the up side is, there's always a 15 pound brisket available. When they were low, I was finding 9 and 10 pounders if I was lucky.

I got a big freezer and I do a brisket only for a special occasion, just because it's getting so damn expensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back