Still can't get the heat up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
No question about it. It explains everything. Heat is being blocked and reflected on the underside of the lower grate, and being reflected down from the upper. This would cause rather uneven cooking of anything on the lower grate, precisely what was described. Heat is being blocked by the upper grate causing rather slow cooking of anything there, precisely what was described.

There is utterly no reason to foil the grates period. Get rid of the foil and you'll be rid of the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight even if it only with a burger. My reason for foiling was cleanup.

Make a meatloaf if you can. Either fashion a pan out of foil with low sides, or cook it on a piece of foil or parchment just larger than the loaf is. That will give you something more substantial for your trouble.

Whatever you cook, just scrape the grates with a grill brush after you remove the meat and while the grates are still hot. (If only using the upper grate don't bother to put the lower grate in the cooker at all.)

Brian, I hope you'll follow through and try this. Number one, Kevin is a key resource and has truly nailed your problem. Number two, there's no question about the foil being the problem. My mother-in-law always uses foil on her GRILL and it drives me nuts! But that isn't a big problem like it would be in the WSM whose design creates the specific heat and air flow dynamics needed to establish proper cooks and temps. By putting foil on, you destroyed those dynamics.

Follow Kevin's advice -- do a meatloaf, lots of good recipes here on TVWBB. Basically a cheap cook so you have confidence you won't throw away another costly purchase. And my first meatloaf last week just made me want to do another right away -- they are fabulous on the WSM.

Rich

Edit: And if you like ribs, you may like pulled pork. That's one of the easier cuts to nail on the the WSM. You may want to try that before you do more ribs -- also not as costly and will feed you more than once.

Brian, THE TRUTH COMES OUT! Glad you gave us that piece of info. Start the cookin and let the band sing!!!!!!

Oh Happy Days!!!!!!!!

Brian,

After following your different posts for the past week or so, I am EXTREMELY glad you have been provided with a resolution. Smoke a meatloaf tonight with no foiled grates, and take some pictures of the wonderful meat you cook.

Also, delete that post in the Trading forum!

Success, but 1st a moment of silence for 3 of the meatiest racks of baby backs I've ever bought.
001ngl.jpg

Fatal mistake.
004krx.jpg

So sad.
005gqs.jpg

Had to take a picture of my helpers juice box.
002hob.jpg

Took the foil off the grates 3/4 chimney unlit, 3/4 lit. Shotup to 350 no problem. Fiddled with the vents got it to 335 and put the meatloaf on. Stayed between 330 & 335 for an hour and a half without touching it again. I feel so stupid. Oh well live and learn.
006du.jpg

007vue.jpg

Nice looking meatloaf! Don't feel stupid. Be glad Chris created this site otherwise you might have gotten rid of that wonderful cooker! Did you delete that post in the trading forum yet
icon_smile.gif

Glad you got it on the right track!Fine looking meat loaf,nice smoke ring on it too! I have learned a lot from the folks on this board-And God bless K Kruger,the man is chock full of information and always so willing to help.Glad it was an easy fix! Now you will be turning out some mighty fine Q,enjoy....Richard

Those are some NASTY looking ribs.

That is a BEAUTEOUS meatloaf...look at the smokering on that thing.
Congratulations to you and your assistant.
Thanks for the picks.

Nice job Brian! Way to stick with it. I checked in here before I checked the weather this morning!

And definitely give some credit to your assistant!

Nice job Brian - glad to see you got fixed! Now you will have an addiction that will be hard to keep a handle on
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tuned into this one late, always happy to see someone get help that turns the corner for them!

Yeah, and those ribs were EXTRA meaty ones. Now go get some more at let er rip!

Psst - don't tell anyone about those West Branch Ouchigans if they come to visit
icon_cool.gif

Looks like you nailed that meatloaf...looks good l have to try one of those. Glad to see you were able to get to the bottom of this.

My congrats also, Brian. And, btw, I'm not sure how many of us would have PREDICTED that outcome from you covering the grates with foil. After the fact, it's fairly easy to and 1+1 -- but then everything else had been covered too. Not saying someone might not have said "WHAT? NO!". But it wouldn't have been me. Not stupid, just unfortunate.

Rich

OMG! Imagine all the good food you would have missed out on if you would have sold your WSM! Glad you got it sorted out Brian.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
[I do know Muncy, btw. I'll be in Milton and Williamsport after the threat of snow is gone.] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I just saw this, small world huh?

Back