Still amazed at versatility

I have a Memphis Pro pellet grill which I’ve had over 10 years. I now live in 4 season Idaho (low humidity), but I moved here from the Seattle area where I lived 1/2 block from Puget Sound. I have never had a cover on my grill and it had always had a cover over it (sunshade gazebo in WA and covered patio in ID). I keep the pellet hopper full and refill after each cook. I’ve never had an issue with pellets absorbing moisture and I store extra pellets in a 5 gallon contaainer in a cabinet under the covered patio.
My grill does have a flame deflector, but it has a removable section over the firepot for direct grilling up 650 degrees. It’s double insulated stainless steel and so far, it is unaffected by weather or temperature.

Ahh so the Pit Boss is like the Member's Mark? No flame deflector only the dispersion plate? Interesting
Not exactly sure what the MM looks like, but my particular one didn't come with a flame deflector like this that would go over the burn pot:
1682556120872.png

It came with the drip pan with flame broiler and cover like this. It angles down toward one side and directs grease into a drip bucket. The cover slides to the side to allow flame broiling. This is probably the reason the PB doesn't come with the flame deflector above - it would take away one of their selling points:
1682555878973.png
It also had a diffuser plate, but PB is quick to tell people to remove it if they are seeing large temp swings from side-to-side, which is exactly what it is designed to prevent (it is upside down in the picture, and the hole in the middle fits over the burn pot). This is underneath the drip pan, in the bottom of the barrel:
1682555965229.png

Hope this makes sense.

My pit boss did not have a plate over the burn pot.

It also has a slotted sliding heat shield so you could crank up the heat and get fire for searing. Add some rib steak fat and it's a pellet party.

View attachment 69666View attachment 69667

I prefer the flavor of meat cooked on my WSK or BGE over the pellet, but the pellet was better flavor than cooking on a gas grill.

YMMV lots of this is my preference or my opinion, not trying to start a flaming debate (pun intended)
Thanks for the pictures Dan. My pictures probably make more sense now.

Yep, I don't think the grill cooks unevenly at all. I have not seen anything cook faster or slower based on where I have placed it. So I guess however that main diffuser plate is working it's doing it's job fine. It's just you can see the "hot spot".
In any case. Just did a nice pork shoulder chop on it tonight. Delish. Tender, nice smoke on it.

Yep, I don't think the grill cooks unevenly at all. I have not seen anything cook faster or slower based on where I have placed it. So I guess however that main diffuser plate is working it's doing it's job fine. It's just you can see the "hot spot".
In any case. Just did a nice pork shoulder chop on it tonight. Delish. Tender, nice smoke on it.
When I first got my Pit Boss, I was a little obsessed about trying to get even cook temps across the entire grate. I had six temp probes at different areas on the grate and I would graph the temp curve at different set temps. I even used a thermal imaging camera just for fun. It's just the engineer in me, I guess. The flame diffuser helped even things out, but I still have variation. I have realized that temp swings are going to happen, and that it won't be within 10 degrees from end-to-end. And that's okay. For things like ribs, I need to move them around a little more than I would like. But for things like brisket, I like having an area that is 10-20 degrees cooler. I just put the flat over the cooler part so it doesn't dry out while I wait for the point to finish cooking.

If I were to buy another pellet cooker, I would look for something with less variation and smaller temp spikes/dips, but this is good enough for now. It was a bargain so I can't complain too much. It sounds like you are extremely happy with yours, so I hope SC is still carrying something similar when mine dies.

I really don't see variations in temp being too bad. Once it's warmed up and settled in (unless there is a cold gale force wind on it), it holds +/- 10 quite well. Sometimes 15 but really that is way better than my inside oven can hold which swings +/- 50! I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Bosch fixed :( Heck it's outdoor cooking. Not supposed to be "precision" :D
I have never bothered to put sensors or temp pucks (like Tom Horseman does) in it. I can look at the food I am placing all around it and how it cooks to know it is reasonably close wherever I place it. When I do one of those standing rib roasts I don't flip it around or anything either. I put it on the middle rack, stick in a probe and let the grill "do it's thing". I don't even open it to peek. I leave it alone and when the target meat temp is reached is when I pull it.
Saw whole prime briskets at Costco yesterday for under $50! I keep feeling this "tug" saying "buy one buy one" and put that bad boy on there. No cutting, just S&P rub, low smoke for days :D then drop that bad boy all wrapped up in the cooler for another 12 hours before slicing it up. Making freezer packs of brisket and have a meal with it the day of.
But oh boy "dat be a whole lotta beef dere"

Beautiful mahogany color with great "crust". Ran the steak up to 118. Rested it while the grill got cranked to 500. Then got it on to finish it. Another outstanding steak. Not even prime grade but ate like filet. No heavy "marks" but then I am not into that. I'm all about getting a nice "crust" on my steaks.
1682645252150.jpeg

Back