Sticks vs Chunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
My step-father offered to send me some apricot 'sticks and branches' from his tree's up in Nebraska. He said most of them are the size of pencils. Will these work OK? I'm used to using CHUNKS not sticks and twigs.

Another question: I bought apple CHIPS today because they were out of CHUNKS. Is there any trick to using CHIPS instead of CHUNKS? They sure burned up quick. I guess I should soak the chips so they're burn slower?

I have used chips and chunks both . They yield
the same results the chunks in the WSM have seemed to be more user friendly. You could soak the chips for an hour they tend not to burn up as quickly.

The pencil sized ones don't seem to last long enough to provide (enough) smoke. When I am trimming trees about the smallest I go for is about the size of a quarter. IMHO.

Russ,

You might like to make some wood chip logs by soaking the chips in hot water and wrapping them in foil. Click here to see how I do them. (Use the Prev and Next links, above the pictures, to see the entire series.) They work very well, when done like this.

The times I have tried using small branches and sticks in my kettles, I did not like the results. The smoke did not have the same smell I was accustomed to when burning regular sized chunks, chips or logs of the same wood. Because the smoke had an off flavor, the meat did too.

Some people like to debark their wood before they burn it. I don't think this is necessary with bigger pieces of wood for offsets, but I do see some of their logic behind this. One example of this is green hickory. The bark of green hickory contains tannin and will release tannic acid when burned and give the meat a bitter taste. Unfortunately, I can verify this from a mistake I made in my rookie days when I used green hickory in my big offset.

In my experience burning wood in my big offset, (and I burn straight wood only) I have noticed that the heartwood will have a better flavor than the wood that has bark.

I tried experimenting with heartwood vs the outer wood that contains the outer and inner barks as well as the cambium to see if there was a noticible difference on how it flavored the meat. I like to cook bacon on my kettles using cherry wood for smoke flavor. I have found the heartwood and to a lesser extent the sapwood, gives the bacon a smoother smoke flavor than the wood chunks that contain are heavy in bark and have less sapwood.

Because there is very little heartwood or even sap wood in the small size branches and limbs, I don't burn any sticks in my kettle, WSM or Offset. I use strictly split wood and make my own chunks from the split logs.

Beers,

I was given a box of freshly cut hickory a while back which consists mainly of small branches, about an inch in diameter. I tried it out on some chicken. The wood let off a nasty stink when I threw it on the coals. I let it burn a while before putting the chicken on, hoping it would improve after some of the bark burnt off. It didn't. The chicken tasted like the wood smelled. The meat was edible, but the skin wasn't. I'm not sure if it was because the wood needed aging, or if the branches were too small, or both. I'm letting it age in the garage now and will try it again later. Anyway, let your nose be your guide.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back