Steve's Oak-Smoked Rotisserie or Beer Can Chicken

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I know a lot of you don't like to make your own spice blend. This one is for you. Also, in keeping with the beer-can chicken theme......
Fred Thompson says, " Steve Sancimino is one of the brothers who run Swan Oyster Depot in San Francisco. When I asked the guys about grilling, they all pointed to Steve. "Hey, he's got two brick barbecue grills in his backyard." says younger brother Tom. "Yeah, I love to barbecue, but I don't use gas or charcoal. Just oak wood, man, that's flavor, especially on chickens." When I ask how he starts the wood, he takes off to the back and returns with a wooden clam box. "I let these dry out, then bust 'em into kindling.

"Since I have a rotisserie, I use it a lot, but I do it beer can style, too," says Steve. "Sometimes I think the beer can style is better because of the moist steam that gets into the chicken."

Steve's Oak-Smoked Rotisserie or Beer Can Chicken

1/2 cup McCormick's Montreal chicken seasoning
Two 3 lb. chickens, giblets removed
Two 12 oz. cans Coors Light beer, if doing beer can

1. Liberally sprinkle both birds inside and out with the seasoning.
2. Set up the grill for indirect grilling. Steve uses oak wood chunks instead of charcoal. Oil your grill's cooking surface.
3. For rotisserie, position the birds on the spit. Close the lid and start the motor. For beer can style, open each can of beer and drink half.. Position each chicken firmly over a beer can and place upright on the grill away from the fire. Cover.
4. Either way, cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 180F, about 1 1/2 hr. Transfer to a platter and cut into individual serving pieces.

Source: "Barbecue Nation" - Fred Thompson - 2007

Back