Sterno for lighting chimney?

Rick Rockwell

TVWBB Member
Does anybody use a sterno can to light off a chimney. I usually use a paper towel or two with some veg oil but thought the sterno might be an easy, no mess alternative. My concern is over residual taste/odor from the fuel, vis-a-vis charcoal lighter fluid.

I saw them at Christmas tree shop the other day for 69 cents and thought... hmmmm.

Just say no.
Why complicate things? I just use a sheet of lightly crumpled newspaper, one match, and let her go. Easy.

I like the candle style Sterno for lighting chimneys, not the gel style. Newspaper creates lots of ash that flies around. Propane is my favorite with a Weber Chimney.

I have never tried a sterno to light the charcoal. But Cooks Illustrated has endorsed this method in their current issue.

Tom

I just replaced my old chimney with a Weber. Why did I wait so long. Took several pieces of paper to get started and now one paper and away it goes.

I normaly just use a little hand held torch . If Iam out a fuel for it I lite off my cutting torch and away we go . papper is to messy imo any ymmv . one a those hand helds cost like nuten at a Harbor Frieght store. You can also use it to crisp up things in a pinch and it works great .

Sterno? No. I use the starter cubes, but if I didn't I'd use plain newspaper, and I'd start the chimney in my kettle. A little paper ash never hurt.

For my time and money I prefur to break of a small piece of fire starter.

The stuff that comes in sticks like sawdust and wax. Little mess, always works. Probably works out to 10 cents per light.

Robert

I use the Starter Cubes - they work great - no more ash flying around, burnt paper, etc.

they work very fast, very efficient, very hot
icon_smile.gif

I found some 72 hour sterno cans at a restaurant supply store right next to my house. They are a buck each. It lights the coals very quickly with one match in any weather. Paper usually worked great... Oily paper towel works good... Lighter cubes work well... But for now, I am using the sterno cans. IMO, there is zero chance of fumes from alcohol gel in the sterno can causing a change in food taste. Alcohol burns very clean... they are even safe to use indoors as warmers.

Everybody has a different setup. For me, I like these cans because they have worked in the most predictable way of anything I have tried so far. Next month, I might be using something else. This us the first time I have consistantly strayed from just newspaper.... And I am liking it.

Using a Weber chimney, I use three sheets of paper towel splashed liberally with canola oil. No ash or residue, lights fast and pretty simple.

Bought too many Weber starter cubes when a nearby Ace had them on sale. They light fast, no ashes from newspaper. I'll try the oily paper towels when I before I replenish the cubes, probably around 2015!!!

Back