Steaming with the WSM?

Keith H.

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone ever done this? If so, what works?

From the WSM Manual ---

To steam: arrange the charcoal grate, charcoal chamber, and water pan on the middle ledge grill strap. Place no-handled cooking grate on top of the water pan. Place handled cooking grate aside.

you have to cover the food with a lid of some sort to keep the steam from escaping and keep the meat moist. it would also have to allow smoke to get in otherwise you might as well use the oven. i do not think the water will get hot enough to create a steam type effect in a wsm. even the water pan water doesnt boil it just evaporates. steaming in cooking is usually done in an enclosed vessel of some sort with the food suspended above the boiling water.

to get he effect your looking for perhaps a realllllly low fire and smoke wood let the food stay in the smoke f or a period of time maybe a half hour at extremely low temps then steam on the stove in an actual steamer. for such a thing wood chips on a kettle grill of some sort would achieve the same purpose.

just my thoughts on it. others may have different ideas or opinions. i have never tried it myself on a wsm i just dont see how it could work that well.

Seems like a stretch to steam in a WSM. Maybe a rack in a big roasting pan is a better solution for steaming (Braising)a large piece of meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill_W:
Seems like a stretch to steam in a WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill, I agree, but keep in mind, my original quote is right out on the WSM Manual. There are also recipes.

Has this been tried?

PS. While there (in the manual, that is), see Weber's configuration for barbequeing...more like grilling.

Back