Steam-N-Chips

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Someone might want this brand new Steam N Chips. If you don't live in the Minneapolis area, you can always try to work out a deal to have it shipped. You won't find a new one very often, much less a used one in decent condition.

Someone might want this brand new Steam N Chips. If you don't live in the Minneapolis area, you can always try to work out a deal to have it shipped. You won't find a new one very often, much less a used one in decent condition.

whats this fit??? Would it fit my silver b?

I am not sure, but I think it would. However, you will need modified cooking grates. Either ones designed to be used with it or I think you can cut a set to fit.

Bobby, I have one of these from Amazon and it works very well. It sits in the Vee between flavorizers.
61FvpAEbQ9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I agree with the foil packet and with the under the grate V box both working very well. The nice thing about this old Weber box and special grate is that you don't have to lift the grate to add wood chips. If I used one of these, I would make up the foil packets Larry recommends and drop them in and replace them as you are cooking. That eliminates the problem of ashes falling through but is also easier than trying to remove a grate to open the below grate box. I have one of the V boxes, however, and they do work very well. Just not as easy.

True Jon. When you have your racks full of ribs or whatever and you need to change out the wood chips, it is pretty hard to lift grates.

Jon and Bruce, I never thought of that. If a gasser is one's only cooker, then the Weber steam-n-chips is probably the smoker box to use.

I've never done ribs on my 1000 because I have 2 charcoal grills and a WSM. I mostly use my 1000 for short cooks like salmon. The only long cook I do with it is rotisserie chicken; the grates are removed so it's not an issue.

I do think the steam-n-chips would work well. I place my smoker box at the left end atop the cross-over tube, same as with the S-N-C. The smoke has filled the cooker whenever I open the lid; it doesn't just waft out the back without touching the food.

Love ribs, but hate the mess. I wrap my ribs in foil when on my Genny. Only the last 20 minutes they go on sauced up and foil-free!

It doesn't work well not only because the potential mess but the smoke is emitted at the same level as the food and simply goes out the back of the grill. The only time mine worked well was if I used the swinging basket in the lid to hold the food. I would rather move the food and remove the rack

I think I will work on modding one of my sets of SS solid rod grates that I use on my rehabs to make a hinged door along the front so that I can easily change out my smoker box. Similar to the GBS system.

I think I will work on modding one of my sets of SS solid rod grates that I use on my rehabs to make a hinged door along the front so that I can easily change out my smoker box. Similar to the GBS system.
Now that sounds interesting. The grate is supported along the front edge, and the long smoker box requires both grates to be moved (or cut?) to get the lid open. How would that work? And how would it be better than smoke bombs (chips in foil)?

Attachments

• Smoker Box.jpg
    Smoker Box.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Bruce & Ed,
That is exactly what Weber did on the 1st generation Summit. There was a smoker box which went below the grates, but the grates had hinged doors to allow access to it without having to lift the whole, heavy stainless grate out. The 1st generation Summit that I have doesn't have a grate, but it does have the smoker box. I am thinking about possibly cutting one of the two grates I install to allow for a small section that can be lifted to access the box. Another summer project!

Ed, I have a V shaped smoker box. I think that if I cut a section out of the front of one of the grates between the far left one or two and far right one or two grate bars, I could get the smoker in and out OK. I will have to do some testing.
Yep, another summer project. Right now, I want to concentrate on rehabbing as the market is hot right now..

Yep, another summer project. Right now, I want to concentrate on rehabbing as the market is hot right now..

I just cannot wait to get out of tax preparation prison. I want in on this high grill interest time!:coolkettle: I have plenty to put together...just need time and a cooperative spouse.

It will happen Jon. I sold grills all summer long last year and never struggled, even deep into the fall.

Back