Steak Soup

Tim Y

TVWBB Fan
My version of a Kansas City classic.

2 pounds steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes*...use T-bone, porterhouse, or ribeye for best results
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
8 cups beef broth
1 tsp pepper, or to taste
2 Tbs parsley
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1 tsp hot sauce...whatever you prefer...I like something with chipotle for a little smokiness
28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup green beans
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup unsalted butter (I didn't say this was good for you!)
1/2 cup flour
2 large potatoes, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
Salt to taste

Brown steak in Dutch oven. Drain fat, if desired.
*Alternatively, you can grill the steak to medium rare and then cut into cubes for a little added "char" flavor....I have had excellent results doing this, but it's very good with just browning the steak, as well. If grilling first, just don't over-cook the steak.
Add onion, jalapenos and W sauce to steak, saute for 5 minutes or till slightly tender; add garlic & saute for one minute. Stir in broth, pepper, parsley, paprika, thyme, bay leaves, hot sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, then add green beans, peas and corn. Cook partly covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
In a sauce pan, melt butter and add flour, whisking to combine. Cook and stir often till a smooth roux is formed. Continue to cook and stir till light brown in color. Add to soup, stirring to mix well.
Add potatoes, celery and carrots, adjust seasonings, adding salt to your liking.
Bring to a low boil to thicken the roux, reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered till veggies are tender, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
As with most soups, this tastes even better the next day.

Back