starting with propane

DW Frommer II

TVWBB Fan
Is it possible to get a decent minion method burn going by filling the ring on the
WSM and then using a propane torch to start 10 or 20 briquets in the center?

Would it be faster than starting a chimney...that's my real question.

I recall seeing posts by members who do a Minion start like this. I have started a mound like this for direct grilling and they do light fast. My guess is you would have 10 to 20 lit within 5 minutes with a torch. How well you could direct the flame and light just the number you want might be an issue.

Paul

What's the hurry,
Sounds like you would burn up one side of the coal before the other with a torch, and might burn funny. I like using the chimney starter while I am doing the final prep of the meat. I like the whole starting process, and putting the meat on when the WSM is at that point to start cooking. It is then when I start the clock & pop a top on my 1st beer. I can't think of a better way to spend the day. Keep it simple and basic.

Wandering around at the Sedalia comp today, I saw lots of propane fueled turkey cookers with chimneys n top. Many teams use the turkey cooker to light the chimney - let it go for half a beer, then turn off the gas - finish the beer and your coals are ready to put in the cooker.

some use weed burners, but its tough to handle a weed burner and a beer at the same time - you might spill the beer@!

Been there done that. It doesn't light much faster than the chimmney and a weber starter cube so I don't do it any more.

Back