Starting temp

Al Smith

TVWBB Fan
What temp is your wsm at when you put in your ribs (or butts)?
I'm thinking mine may be too hot as my spareribs are a bit tough on the outside though they are tender inside. Thanks for replies.

When I am cooking on a Minion method longer cook, here is the way I set up.

Fill the charcoal ring with charcoal, make a dip in the middle, light a chimney load of charcoal, and wait till it is beginning to ash over, (10 – 15 minutes), pour the lit charcoal into the dip in the middle of the unlit, I now put on the center section, and leave it alone for another 10 – 15 minutes.

I assemble the rest of the WSM, putting in the water pan and filling it with boiling water straight away, bottom rack, meat on the bottom rack, top rack, meat on the top rack, lid.

I have a thermometer on the lid and it normally climbs to at least 255° F, and most often up to 265° F - 270° F in the first 10 - 15 minutes after everything is assembled. The times are all walk around estimates I don’t go set my watch and do it all bang on the minute, so it is somewhere between 40 and 55 minutes allowing for fuddle factor.

The temperature that the meat is actually going in at is hard to judge, but I would think it must be going into the assemble mix somewhere in the 240° F – 260° F zone, otherwise it would not be reading 255° F + at about 10 –15 minutes into the cook. The cool meat must cause a drop in the temperature of the cooker, IMO.

I forgot to say I normally cook ribs over something else, a brisket or a couple of butts so the ribs going on the top rack are the last things in and the first things out.

I don't wait for any certain temperature. I just fire up the WSM using the Minion method. As soon as I put the lit coals in, I put the meat on the grate, put the thermometer probe into the meat (for butts, not for ribs of course), and assemble everything. So normally the fire has burned for maybe 2-3 minutes before everything is assembled and cooking. Since I no longer use water in the pan, it doesn't take too long for the temperature to get up into the 225-250 degree range.

I'm with Larry. I add about 20-25 lit coals, assemble cooker, add meat right away, and off we go. I use the flower pot base, and it doesn't take very long to come up to temp. I also feel you get a better smokering this way rather than adding meat to a hot cooker.

However, as to the original question of whether starting too hot caused the outside to be tough while the inside was tender, I don't think that is likely to be the case. How hot were your initial temps when the meat was added?

My understanding of MM was to add the meat when the WSM was assembled . Often I'm not in the 250 lid range for some time, depending on the amont of food on the grate (heat sink) and ambient conditions. My feeling, unsupported by any real evidence, is that the meat benefits by the gradual rise in temp. my guess is that the toughness of the ribs on the outside will improve if you allow the temp to slowly rise into range. This will, however, increase the total cook time.

Paul

I let it get to my target temp for ribs, been using the BRITU method for those as outlined in the recipe so it takes some times for the temp to drop to around 225. For butts I've been firing it using the minion method and just putting them on when I assemble the smoker.

I'm a big believer in putting the meat as soon as the WSM is lit and assembled. Did some loin backs Sunday (after digging out of 20" of snow) temp came up nice and slow in less than a half hour. Don't have to deal with the fluctuations when putting on cold meat on an already hot WSM.

Just my 2¢.

Thanks for the replies. I was using the Standard Method of firing up, but just couldn't get the temp down below 300 even after an hour or so. Then putting the ribs in at that temp it would take 30-40 minutes to get down to 240 or so. That may be just too much for spare ribs to start with. Probably I just need to use Minion like you guys say. Thanks.

Al

Sorry. I didn't realize you were using the Standard method. I do, in fact, use that method often for spares.

I follow the procedure outlined on the main page and close all vents once the cooker is assembled. When it gets down to around 325, I add the meat. You're correct, the raw meat will begin to absorb the heat and the pit temp will drop. I slowly open the vents as the temp is descending, to allow it to fall, slowly, into a 250 lid temp range.

Many do prefer MM because it is easier to regulate the temp on the way up rather than down on the way down. However I really don't have a problem with the Standard Method.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Paul G, do you baste or spray or foil to keep them moist? Maybe that's why you're not getting the tough outer layer like I'm getting. Putting the ribs in at 325 the temp must drop to 250 fairly quick. Mine takes 30 minutes or so to drop, and I'm thinking that may be causing the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Smith:
Paul G, do you baste or spray or foil to keep them moist?. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do spray the ribs a few times during the cook and I give them a good spray before the foiling phase. "Tough' may be a relative term. I like my ribs with a little chew, which to some might be 'tough". More time in the foil will certainly soften the toughness, but it's a trade off for a too tender rib.

I wouldn't be surprised if it took 30 minutes for my ribs to drop the pit temp from 325 down to 250. I try to slowly adjust the vents so that when the temp approaches 250 it is almost stable.

Paul

Back