Started 3 whole briskets High Heat at 5:30am!

Phillip Moore

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking for our party today, and I started this morning with 3 whole briskets, about 39 pounds before trimming. I wasn't sure I was going to get it all on the 22" WSM, I think it was bigger in my head than in real life. I managed to fit it all though.

Anyone ever try laying the briskets on their sides to make them fit easier?

I was wanting to try making one of those breakfast sausage fatties as a reward for only getting up at 5am to cook, but I'm not sure it would fair so well with the high heat brisket method. Maybe shield it with some foil?

I cant wait to get it all done and see what people think. This is my first time cooking for a crowd. We'll ahve about 23 adults and 8 children in the end. I'm pretty sure i'll have left overs.

We are having :

* Ton of Brisket
* Pulled Pork (I made that last weekend and froze)
* Baked beans (6 quarts) I made from scratch from Cook's Illustrated recipe. This recipe is quite good, but I trippled it, and I think I might not should have tripped the water amount. I had to take some liquid out and simmer it separately to not overcook beans to make it thick at all
* Potato salad my wife made
* Cake!
* A whole mess of Dublin Dr Pepper

You can cook the fatty for a while - 20-30 min or so - then shield with foil.

When the beans are done check for soupiness. If too soupy remove a blender's worth, purée well, then stir back in. If still too loose allow to simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, till the liquid reduces and it's the consistency you seek.

Have fun today!

Phillip, you are my new hero! Yes, you will have plenty of left-overs. I use the general guide of 1/2 lb of uncooked butt or brisket per person. Sounds like a whole lotta fun. Enjoy the day!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">* A whole mess of Dublin Dr Pepper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I gotta know what that is!
What's the recipe?

Briskets came out wonderful, everyone commented about how good it was and got seconds. I was surprised people really seemed to like the pulled pork too, which I made last weekend and froze. Out of the 3 whole briskets, I served one of the points sliced and 2 sliced to flat portions. People took some home which was great. I still had 1 entire brisket and a point. I chopped up the point to make chopped beef, and i'm going to cut the left over flat into about 1 pound pieces and freeze them for heating up later.

Was a hectic day but was lots of fun. Its really rewarding cooking for so many people and have people enjoy eating what you made so much.

Dublin Dr Pepper is made with cane sugar, instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Dublin refers to Dublin, TX, near were Dr pepper was invented. It is awesome and is readily available in Austin. Even some restaurants have it at the soda fountain.

Dublin Dr Pepper wikipedia

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If too soupy remove a blender's worth, purée well, then stir back in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant! Thanks, Kevin.

It sounds like your cook when great Phillip. Nicely done.

And thanks for the clarification on Dublin DP... I had translated that into Guinness and thought that was pretty clever. On reflection I should have known Ireland is still recovering its Guinness supplies from my recent trip and that don't yet have "a whole mess".

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dublin Dr Pepper is made with cane sugar, instead of high fructose corn syrup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought you might have been referring to Guinness, but I guess not. So where on the East coast can I find that stuff? If I can get my hands on the original Squirt (grapefruit soda), I'd be in heaven (tart, no food coloring, circa 1965).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phillip Moore:
Dublin refers to Dublin, TX, near were Dr pepper was invented.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>DP was invented in Waco TX in 1885 and sold only at soda fountains.

Dublin TX is the site of the first and longest operating DP bottling plant started in 1891.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I can get my hands on the original Squirt (grapefruit soda), I'd be in heaven (tart, no food coloring, circa 1965). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

look for Ting , its better. Jamaican joints usually have a cooler with bottles of the stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
See this thread and this post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought. This has been my method for years. I do the same for pulled pork and ribs, well almost for the ribs. About 275 for them. I'd had enough with getting up at the crack of dawn or earlier to smoke stuff to eat at say 4.

Back