StarLink

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB Pro
We just received the notice that our StarLink system is arriving in 2 weeks to our summer place.
Yippee Kiyay!
We we’re on a waiting list for near 2 years.

Our dish was ok but the wife suffered a bit with her zoom meetings.
She does multiple zoom meetings every day and always had a bit of a lag at times.

I am going to keep paying for our dish system until we are confident that this will work for her.

For those of you that are on it, does it work good for you?
I’m concerned because her having a good connection is vital to us staying up here.

Hi Andy, - we were one of the earlier beta testers for Starlink - We've had it now for about 2 years - Over all, its been reliable, and much better than our prior service which was a 10mg DSL line- We currently get get between 90 to 150 down and around 10 to 20 up. The service does fluctuate, but still is much better than anything we've had previously. That being said, I have been reading a lot about certain areas or 'cells' that have been oversold, where folks are experiencing a degradation of service. This is a bit disturbing, but for us it hasn't been an issue - yet ( we live in a rural part of WA state)

One thing to keep in mind is, there is no real port forwarding at this point (unless you use a VPN) they are mostly IPv4 with carrier-grade NAT - apparently some areas or cells are beginning to move to IPv6 which will allow for port forwarding - There's no static IP's available unless you opt for the business grade, which is super expensive. We also immediately ditched the cheesy router they provide for one of our choice.

II'd imagine you shouldn't have any issues with zoom meetings. If you currently have some sort of satellite internet service (Hughs net or Dish or whatever) at you summer place, you should notice an immediate upgrade in your service as long as your site has a good clear line of site to the North :)

Last edited:
We just got T-Mobile home Internet to use when we're traveling in the camper since me and my wife work mobile. We've gotten between 100mbps and 600mbps everywhere we've been between Colorado Springs and Augusta Georgia. $50 a month. It uses cell signal so all you need to do is plug it in. You might see if it's available in your area if star link doesn't work out.

I think we might have issues with this but we shall see.
Almost all my land is tall trees.
We are surrounded by trees on 3 sides.
Our west side is water.
If I mount it as far south as possible on our roof it’s a bout 130 feet away from the 50’ trees on the north side.
Man I hope this works.

The Starlink dish sits at about a 40 degree angle and faces pretty much due North. You can download the Starlink app and run some tests from your roof to check for any possible obstructions so you'll have an idea if its going to work or not. I would think if you had it on the roof and those trees are really over a 100 feet away you should be fine - At 40 degrees, it points fairly 'up'.

I see T-Mobile is going to buy into StarLink and use them for cellular to cover dead zones. Supposedly the late model Samsung and Apple flagship phones will be able to use it straight away.

My client has a site out west with a Starlink connection as a backup. The network gent says that it seems to be quite stable.

My internet is via a dish.
I just tested it while i was on YouTube and tvwbb with my wife in a zoom meeting.
I don’t know if that load effects my incoming speed.
8.68 download
.64 upload

After several tests it bounces around that and 1.0 greater on both.
Sssssmokin fast huh?

Yes it's like anything else. More load on it the more downgrades it is. I have at any given time 28 things connected to ours, but a quick speed check (Comcast) gives me about 850 down and 25 up

Back