Standing Rib Roast Debriefing

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I smoked a standing rib roast the other day using the rotisserie. In addition, I made au jus and Yorkshire pudding. For a first time, things went okay, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

I used Minion's recipe for the roast. We found it flavorful. I did note that after marinating, the pepper was not as attached to the roast as it was going in.

I battled on how to cook this. I ended up using the rotisserie since that was a big motivation for having purchased the apparatus. I was worried about the spit rod, but that was much ado about nothing. The rod went in without issue and left no hole when removed. I did not notice any cooking on the inside because of the rod.

My issue with the rotisserie was controlling the temperature in the kettle. Admittedly, I have not mastered temp control on the kettle. I was looking to cook at 200-225. I was at 300+ most of the cook. I should have used the Minion method for lighting this.

Even so, we were generally pleased with the temperature of the roast. I took it off at 225 and let it rest.

While the roast was cooking, I prepared the au jus using Kevin's recipe. Roasting the vegetables with the oxtail was heavenly. All went well until it came time to remove the fat. I seemed to be inept with this. I used a fat separator, but my results were flawed. Even so, the au jus did not seem to be as thin as I am used to. I will need to address this next time.

I also made Yorkshire pudding. Admittedly, I had never had bacon in my pudding before, but I liked it! This was a first time making this, although I very much enjoy Yorkshire pudding. I did not have anything handy to poke the puddings with I pulled them out. They fell before I could get to them. Even so, they were tasty. Things were moving quite quickly at this point and I did not get a chance to make a second batch, which would have been devoured immediately as both my wife and I enjoyed these.

My carving skills suck. As such, I was frustrated as I carved the roast. My wife okay the purchase of a a real carving knife. Not that that will fix all things, but it will help.

I purchased the roast from the fattier end. Since I have read a lot and it seems like I would do better using the last three ribs. There was a bit more fat on this than I would have liked. The roast was slightly pass where I like it . . . I like the rarer side of medium-rare. The temperature worked very well for my wife.

I can control temps much better on the WSM, so the next time I will probably try this on that. I need to figure out what I did wrong with the au jus. The Yorkshire pudding was great. We'll be making these again. I also grilled some asparagus to go along with the meal. Yum.

4079823763_c63251aa78.jpg

4079824059_cbf1983a34.jpg

4079825405_3345522324.jpg

4079827037_9d849d77ba.jpg

4080587002_626d6635a2.jpg

4079828085_e720f7a1a2.jpg

Great looking plate of food. My problems are just the opposite controlling temps on the grill vs WSM. The grill I can have rock steady temps but on the WSM it keeps wandering. I just need a little more practice and find just the right technique.

Everything looks fabulous.
I don't see any problem with your Yorkshire pudding - they've risen magnificently and have developed a "well" in which to pour gravy or au jus.
icon_cool.gif
To keep them from collapsing, they could be cooked a bit longer. They would be more crispy but you run the risk of drying them out too much.
Did you take the roast off at 225?? Sounds like uber-well-done. Or did you mean 125??
In any case it all looks incredible.
Now you've got me digging in the freezer looking for a rib roast to do on the rotis.
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Errr . . . yeah, 125. Fat fingers here.
icon_smile.gif

The pudding could have gone a touch longer. I was rushing getting everything done at the same time and was worried with overcooking them. Even so, I was very pleased with them.

nice. to control the temp you have to shut down the lower vents a lot more than you think. leave the top open so ya don't get soot.

Awesome job RD... I've been thinkin bout a rotisserie for the kettle for awhile now... After seeing your results maybe I'll off my *** and get one!

Looks good from here RD. 120-125 is when I tend to pull my rib roasts, so it looks just fine to me. I'll definitely have to try my hand at YP. I have a 4 rib prime in the freezer that I plan to pull for around Christmas. I've cooked them a bunch of times in the smoker, grill, oven but have yet to try a brine. Did you like it better than without? Or just different?

Do I need a security clearance to get in on this rib roast debriefing? Nice work to all you rib roasters out there. Looking mighty fine. I'm going to do another soon as its been too long.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDOwens:
I was rushing getting everything done at the same time and was worried with overcooking them. Even so, I was very pleased with them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We make Yorkie in a single baking pan from drippings from the beef while it's doing its 25 minute post cooking rest. You need to have .25 cups beef suet and the colored bits in the bottom of an approximately 10-11 X 2" baking pan or dish. This can be cast iron, or pyrex. To make the batter use one cup flour, one cup of milk, two eggs, and salt. Blenderize that and pour that onto the hot fat[400F for as long as it takes to heat the pan]. Turn the oven to 375F and don't look in the oven for twenty five minutes. Once you do it in one pan you won't go back to the little muffin shaped puddings. The taste just isn't there. The beef drippings make the dish. It's hard to equitably put them in individual itty bitty pies.

I want to try yorkshire pudding. I have drippings from chuck roast and also have some from smoked brisket. Do you use just the solid fat that forms on top or some of the juices to?

Back