Stainless-Steel flavorizer bar Clean and Restore

I don't. I just move the bars around as I tend to be a creature of habit and cook in the same spot in the grill and this gunks up some of the bars more than others.

on an EW grill, the front and rear flav bars take the most abuse from burners and the interior bars get more gunked up because of the typical burner pattern with the middle burner off or on low.

By shuffling them around occasionally I even out the wear.

I also do this on my front control E330 because I usually cook on the side with the sear burner so those get the most high heat burner abuse and get a lot of gunk

Thanks,
I was just wondering if you can get them back silver on rehab grill or is it worth time for so much effort to save a little. I usually just replace them. That is the reason for the question.

Not sure on a flip. Most of the ones I've picked up used are almost trash. I keep the serviceable used bars for my personal grill and put cheap new shiny bars in the ones heading out.

If the bars are SS, maybe a blast of oven cleaner and a light touch with a flap disc on an angle grinder or air sander.

Last edited:
Its not really fair when all you pick up is 2-5 yro grills..... SS flavor bars (304 I am presuming) 'should' go 5-10 years without issue..... Its the non 304 bars that are a problem. I never really did get a good answer as to what 304 bars look like after 5-10+ years.

I still gotta say that is the weirdest use of an impact driver I've ever seen :D To my way of thinking trying to get lug nuts off with an open end wrench :D
If you're using a sidewinder switching to an impact is like a dream come true. I can't even imagine using my angle grinder to try and do this. It's so easy anyone could do it safely. Just wear eye protection.

I think you probably have to have a quality impact though. I'm not sure a cheapo would cut it.

Maybe I'll make a video

Last edited:
If you're using a sidewinder switching to an impact is like a dream come true. I can't even imagine using my angle grinder to try and do this. It's so easy anyone could do it safely. Just wear eye protection.

I think you probably have to have a quality impact though. I'm not sure a cheapo would cut it.

Maybe I'll make a video

A video would be nice, if anything, at least to see how you work.

Not sure what you mean by a "sidewinder". But I would think even a cheapie angle grinder would be faster, easier and more efficient. After all Bruce was the "prevailing master" of the Harbor Freight angle grinder

Not sure what you mean by a "sidewinder". But I would think even a cheapie angle grinder would be faster, easier and more efficient. After all Bruce was the "prevailing master" of the Harbor Freight angle grinder
More power to you or anyone who wants to wrestle one of those. I'm sure the end result is great.
Angle grinder slang-sidewinder

Back