Stain Removal

Robert.K

Can anyone make a recommendation on how to clean off smoke/grease stains from the exterior of a grill? They're rather unsightly.

IMAG0354.jpg

Have you tried Weber's cleaners? They're pretty good. There's one for general cleaning and another for stubborn stains.

Have you tried Weber's cleaners? They're pretty good. There's one for general cleaning and another for stubborn stains.

Can't seem to find any out this way. Can you recommend an alternative? I just saw something posted about not using citrus-based cleaners on the flavorizer bars. Not sure why, but does that also apply to the firebox and lid?

Here's a cheap alternative. Try a little dishwasher detergent (the kind for your dishwasher) mixed with a little water. Lightly scrub with a no-scratch (blue) scrub sponge. The dishwasher detergent will break through the grease and won't be so harsh as other cleaners. If you've got some at home, try that first.

As for the flavorizer bars, I just scrape mine with a plastic putty knife and rotate them so they all get a chance to get some direct flame to burn off the residual junk.

Have you tried Dawn ?
Yep. No dice. This stuff is tough.

Have you got an Ace Hardware? That's where I got mine.
No dice there either.

Looks like this is the solution.

Here's a cheap alternative. Try a little dishwasher detergent (the kind for your dishwasher) mixed with a little water. Lightly scrub with a no-scratch (blue) scrub sponge.
As above - no help.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Looks like I'm off to Amazon.

Don't think the Weber cleaner is going to be some magic potion. When I rehabbed one of this style/color grills, I ended up painting it black.

I use a paste cleaner on my SS Genesis. It is called "Kleen Glo". Might be the same as paste Barkeeper's friend. Whatever it is - it works. Lots of marine places sell it as do janitorial places. At least up here.

Y'know, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

If anyone knows what the coating is on the firebox and lid, that would at least offer a clue as to what might work, or what to avoid. For example, if it's an porcelain/ceramic coating such as used on the flavorizer bars, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to use something like EZoff oven cleaner. If it's an enamel coating (paint) then I'd need to be more cautious.

Short of any other feedback, I guess I'll hit up the Weber folks and ask if they have any input.

Back