Stacking Grates

I already purchased the second grate, do you think for any reason that my ribs would be negatively affected using this method? Thanks.
Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Ni:
I already purchased the second grate, do you think for any reason that my ribs would be negatively affected using this method? Thanks.
Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I use a 2nd grate like pic 1 all the time when cooking ribs, does not affect anything, works awesome.

I do the same for CSR's and chops.I get more color on the top rack, so I rotate mid-cook.
It will work on a kettle also if ya have a spare grate..

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robb Walters:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Ni:
Thanks for all of the help. The stacking worked great, and the ribs were incredible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Tom (and others)- For those of you that have stacked the grates like "option #1" mentioned above...I am wondering if there was plenty of clearance for the ribs that were placed under the grate that was stacked on top?? Or does the stacked grate push into the ribs underneath it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

During my cook, the top grate did rest on the bottom ribs. I did not see any negative affect from this. I did turn the top grate part way thru the cook and allow the bottom rack that was previously covered some "air time".

10-435692BE-1889248-1280.jpg

WOW! Those ribs look GOOD!! And it doesn't appear that anythings been "squishing" them down... I like!! Looks like i'll be picking up a top grate later today. Also, I was messing around with my smoker yesterday, and it appears you can do the same thing on the bottom grate. May take a little more effort with balancing the grate, but it didn't seem like it would be to much trouble. If that works, we are talking an easy 8-10 slabs of ribs laid flat on an 18.5 WSM
icon_biggrin.gif

My last experience with a rib rack was a let down... it was probably the rack that i used... everything was so tight that things were sticking together... a real pain. What brand of rib rack would you suggest? How many slabs of ribs can you get on your smoker at one time? Are you smoking on the 18.5 WSM?

I have the 18 inch WSM. I haven't used my rib rack in years cause i can fit 4 racks or more wo it. Not sure what brand it is. I personally don't like to do ribs on multiple racks if I don't have to. I have also just piled the racks on each other! Every time you spray or baste just move ONE rack from the bottom to the top. That way they still get equally smoked and cooked and they kinda baste each other that way! Happy smokin..

Back