St Louis Ribs

Scott G.

TVWBB Member
I've noticed that grocery stores are selling St Louis-style spare ribs packaged by companies like Hormel and Smithfield. I wouldn't mind not having to trim the ribs myself, if the quality was comparable. They don't seem much bigger than loin backs, but that might be just because the way they are packaged.

Any thoughts on the subject?

st. louis cut ribs are very close to baby back in size. i can't comment on the hormel ones, but the smithfield ones are not enhanced and cook up very nice. i normally only buy them when they are on sale for 2.99/lb as they are normally 4.99/lb. that's a little steep for me. but i'll get them when on sale just so i don't have to bother with trimming.

The first two butts I did were Hormel packed and after purchasing them I did notice they were "enhanced". I enjoyed them regardless and would purchase the product again. I saw the St Louis style spareribs in the same case and have also contemplated buying them.

I almost always buy spares and trim them St. Louis style. These have more meat on them than baby backs and always are less expensive. Did a rack this past weekend, and believe or not, there's still a few left....I must be getting old
icon_rolleyes.gif
! If the Hormels are on sale, give them a try!

When you trim your ribs is that the same as blocking them and do you cook the trimmings. I trim mine and cook some of the scraps for beans or snacks. I usually don't trim them to st louis style unless it is for comp or special guest.

Back