St. Louis Pork Steak, Corn, and ABT's on the OTG

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife and I were shopping at our favorite Locally Owned Super Market and Butcher Shop and noticed that they had pork steaks on sale for $1.29 per lb. We live close to the Indiana border and this Mkt. is actually in Indiana. They have an excellent meat department with several real meat cutters on duty at all times.

The pork steaks in the case were all about 1/2". I wanted some bone in about 1". They readily complied and cut them from a Boston Butt immediately.

I decided that I liked the looks of the recipe in Cooks Country Grill book. As per directions, my wife made the sauce from scratch (a clone of the famous Maul's Sauce made with beer). I lit a full chimney starter full of Kingsford (my regular set up for both direct and indirect with two thin fire bricks). I seared the pork steak on both sides then buried in the sauce in an aluminum throw-away pan and tightly foiled. While that was braising at about 300 degrees indirect, I started some ABT's alongside indirect. My wife cleaned the sweet corn leaving the "handles" on. The steak took an hour+ (check for tenderness). When the ABT's were nearly finished I took them off and held them. When the steak was done (more than enough for the two of us) I removed it to rest. My wife, who is a great cook in her own right, helped by pouring off the sauce and removing any grease on top, then saving the sauce for use over the steak. The sauce had reduced nicely and was absolutely delicious (all of the pork juice goodness only made it wonderful);).

While the steak was resting, I grilled the corn direct and finished the ABT's so I could serve them hot with the meal.

Marilyn also made some coleslaw to accompany the rest. Here are the pictures:

1- Searing the steak over a very hot fire:

2 - Foiled the steak in the sauce and put the ABT's alongside:

3 - The steak in the sauce:

4 - The corn on the grill and the ABT's finishing:

5 - The corn about ready to come off the grill:

6 - A plate full of goodness!!

Thanks for listening!
Dale53

WOW!!!'
Plated pic looks delicious...
Looks like you have a great wife that enjoys grilling with you..will she ever consider doing a cook for the site??

Tony;
Thanks for the kind words. I have to ask the wife. She doesn't do grilling but, frankly, I am sure she could do it if asked. We have always had a "division of labor" she runs the kitchen and I run the grills and smoker. Just kind of the way we do things.

FWIW
Dale53

Tony;
Thanks for the kind words. I have to ask the wife. She doesn't do grilling but, frankly, I am sure she could do it if asked. We have always had a "division of labor" she runs the kitchen and I run the grills and smoker. Just kind of the way we do things.

FWIW
Dale53

That's great Robert.
Keep up the good work and let's see some more cooks. :)

Back