St Louis Cut vs KC Cut

Michael F

I've seen the term KC cut spare ribs a few times on forums and once heard of a Carolina cut on tv. Can anyone tell me the difference between these cuts? I assumed there are only two styles: full spare rib and St Louis, and the rest are just other names for St Louis. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike F:
I've seen the term KC cut spare ribs a few times on forums and once heard of a Carolina cut on tv. Can anyone tell me the difference between these cuts? I assumed there are only two styles: full spare rib and St Louis, and the rest are just other names for St Louis. Am I wrong?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

KC Style and Carolina cut are just another marketing term for St. Louis cut. HERE is a cool link you may be interested in.

Larry, this ? is for you and anyone else that can answer it. I was at the Restaurant Depot here in K.C and back in the cooler they have Spares ribs, one case was lable 'medium spares' and another case was lable 'light spares'. The diffrence in price was, the medium spares $1.28lb or $1.18 for 26+lb's. The light spares are $1.39lb or $1.24 for 26+lb's. As I compare the two I could not see any diffrence in them other than the medium had 4 racks per package and the light had 3 racks per packages. I have bought the medium befor, for the price, but as I asked the meat manager what was the diffrence, he did not really have a clue. He did try say something about wher the ribs were cut but in the end he did not know. I have done a search for the 2 but can not turn up anything. The medium spares are very meaty, as the lights are also. I counted the bones on both and they have about the same amount bones on them (13)

Any ideals or input or thoughts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave caston:
Larry, this ? is for you and anyone else that can answer it. I was at the Restaurant Depot here in K.C and back in the cooler they have Spares ribs, one case was lable 'medium spares' and another case was lable 'light spares'. The diffrence in price was, the medium spares $1.28lb or $1.18 for 26+lb's. The light spares are $1.39lb or $1.24 for 26+lb's. As I compare the two I could not see any diffrence in them other than the medium had 4 racks per package and the light had 3 racks per packages. I have bought the medium befor, for the price, but as I asked the meat manager what was the diffrence, he did not really have a clue. He did try say something about wher the ribs were cut but in the end he did not know. I have done a search for the 2 but can not turn up anything. The medium spares are very meaty, as the lights are also. I counted the bones on both and they have about the same amount bones on them (13)

Any ideals or input or thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spare ribs are all cut from the same place, so the butcher was nuts.

I'm just guessing that since the Mediums had 4 racks per package and they weighed more than the Lights that had 3 racks per package, that's how they come up with the Medium/Light terminology. Other than that, I don't have a clue!

"Taste Great, Less Filling" ???
icon_smile.gif

I'll bet racks get weighed, graded, and sorted. For example, I do know that in order for back ribs to be a true baby back, it has to weigh under a certain amount (2 lbs?).

My butcher has mentioned that he buys "lighter" spares, and the time I got them from him, they were visibly smaller that the mammoth racks I end up with chasing deals.

At the RD by me, they have the small "3.5 and down's, which come 3 slabs to a cryo pack, and the mediums, which I believe are 3.5 lbs and up per slab.

To borrow from Craigs site that Larry linked...
3 1/2 & down, 4 & over, etc. This is butcher talk for the weight of a slab of spareribs. A "3 1/2 & down" weighs 3.5 pounds or less untrimmed, with the tips attached. Most chefs prefer theirs 3 1/2 and down, from younger hogs.

I bought the medium ones for our last comp, and regreted the decision. They are only 2 to a pack, and they're quite a bit larger than the 3 and downs, and both packs I bought needed to be extensively trimmed due to the excess of meat and fat on them. I'll stick with the 3.5 and downs from now on!

I'm not aware of any weight restrictions on "baby backs" but backribs weight usually depends on how much loin meat is left on when they're butchered

This only has to do with the size. they also have large and those are what we would call Bronto spares. Coming from large sow pigs. If you are cooking comps, I would suggest a medium spare. Light are too small. Mediums you can sometimes get the larger bones, so just watch for that.

them putting different racks in a cryovac is just so they can sell more product...

Also, while that site that was linked doesn't list it. The difference with a St. Louis cut and a KC cut is the flap is removed for a KC cut. For a St. Louis cut the flap of meat is sstill attached to the back of the slab.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave caston:

Any ideals or input or thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back