St Louis Cut ribs extra meat

J Dingler

Ive noticed that some people say to just use the extra meat in spaghetti, but I dont want it. Is it ok to just leave it on and not cut it off?

Really? Not sure how anyone on this site would not want meat but to each his own. I've always trimmed mine and here are some uses.

Baked Beans
Chili
Stew
Fajitas/Carnitas

I could go on but you get my point. Personally mine usually end up with my two Basset Hounds.
icon_smile.gif

Are you talking about the trimmings from when you cut a full slab ST Louis style? If so yes I cook whole untrimmed slabs all the time.

really? cool. I hate to let a good piece of meat go to waste. I noticed you are from North Alabama. Isnt that the way Dreamland's ribs are? (not cut)

They have a Dreamlands around here but honestly I have never been there. I heard it is ok from people who do their own BBQ but I hear that it is excellent from those who like the ribs at Chilis and Applebees.

Me? I prefer Big Bob's.

Are you saying you have spare ribs and you're cutting them St Louis style?

I bought St Louis cut from my meat market and they were ready to go. Otherwise, if you have spares and are cutting them yourself, the skirt meat would make a tasty snack for the pitmaster. Throw it on, it'll cook pretty quick.
icon_biggrin.gif

My wife loves stir-fry. The trimmings from a full spare get thrown in the freezer in individual sized pkgs for future pork stir-fry, or pork fried rice, or baked beans, or pork tacos, or enchiladas, or pork and gravy over mashed.

Mark

What I usually do with them:

1) Smoke them for the first couple hours, pull them out since they cook quicker, and then cut them up and throw them in my beans when I put them on.

2) Make tacos.

3) BBQ pork sandwiches.

All are delicious. Stretch your meat!

Back