SS Performer and propane tank age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank B

TVWBB Pro
I'm curious about the SS Performer. I have an older Performer with plastic table and no bin or propane igniter. I would be happy to upgrade to the SS model with propane ignition if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Does a refillable propane tank come with all of them? What years were they made? Do they use the modern screw on connector (vs. the quick connect found on pre 2000 gassers?)

I'm curious if replacing the propane tank and perhaps regulator and hose is going to be an issue with one of these that I see come up on CL from time to time.

thanks

With all the deals that seem to be in IL lately, you may just want to source a complete SS with bin and igniter. Then you can have your current one for a backup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Bordeaux:
With all the deals that seem to be in IL lately, you may just want to source a complete SS with bin and igniter. Then you can have your current one for a backup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm thinking about just replacing the current one with an SS that can light a charcoal chimney. (I presume that the propane igniter can light charcoal in a chimney, right?) My concern is that I could get what seems like a good deal only to find out that it will be $$$ to get the igniter operational.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
Hank
Sounds like you have a Weber Platinum...not a Performer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You may be right. I thought it was a Performer because it had a table to one side. The present Platinum has tables on either side. Does the lack of an igniter and charcoal bin differentiate a Platinum from a Performer?

thanks,
hank

Hank,

Replacement igniter is $28. I thought my ’03 SS was going to need it replaced, but I cleaned it up and it works fine. Lost a screw though, so I am currently lighting with a stick lighter instead of the button.

http://www.bar-b-que.com/store...058&DEPARTMENT_ID=81

Yes, most people who use the ignition use it with a chimney. Just place the chimney on top of the charcoal grate, turn the propane on and click ignite.

My ’03 SS performer has the old style quick connect tank. I haven’t had to refill it yet, and it’s past the 10 year certification. I will address that whenever it runs out.

I believe only the early 90’s model did not have the ignition, but not sure what year.

Weber sells a hose that you can connect to the performers to hook up a 20# propane tank.

The older platinums had a larger table on just one side of the grill, looked like a slightly smaller performer.

get the ss and youll never look back. You can get a generic igniter for 9.00 at lowes or hd. thats what i did and it works great. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back