Spraying ribs

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
I typically spray my ribs with a mixture of apple juice and some other ingredients a few times during the cook. What are most people doing. Spray or not spray?

I give my ribs a little spritz, of apple juice, at the 1hr mark, and at the 2hr mark, before foiling them. My ribs always turn out excellent, so, I keep spritzing them.

Not.

Spraying with a water-based mix (as all of the above are) can slow the cook some, not something I'm interested in doing; I cook ribs at 325-375 so they won't be slow. As a way to add particular flavors there are easier, more effective ways, imo, than spraying. So, no, I don't bother.

I never spray. I do like to apply multiple flavors but I do it by appying a rub, foiling with different ingredients, and then applying a glaze at the end.

Clark

I don't spray,but I do marinate myself with what ever adult beverage I have on hand in the fridge!
icon_biggrin.gif

I used to spray with a mixture of apple juice and pineapple juice - but quit a few years ago. Did not notice any difference.

Ray

I spritz ribs just to control the bark, i do not like tough bark or actually burnt bark is more like it.

If it works for you, and you don't mind doing it, or the time it takes for your ribs to cook, then stick with it. But my thinking is in line with Kevin's here...slows cook time and doesn't do much to add flavor. Or, there are more effective ways to add flavor.

Thanks!

I used to spray with a mix of Apple Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar. But no longer.

Just as George suggests, I did a test and couldn't tell a difference.

No spritzing here. Whenever the lid comes off, it only adds to cooking time, which means everytime you spritz, that's more time you're sitting back waiting for the cook to finish. If you're drinking some adult beverages, maybe that's not such a bad thing...
icon_wink.gif

Since I don't get to BBQ real often, it is as much about the act of BBQing for me as it is the result. Having said that, I am not usually in a hurry. Therefore I am not too worried about the time it would add. I will try some without spraying to see what the difference is.

Back