spotty wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Horn

Need an opinion. I put up about 100# of mulberry "rounds" about two weeks ago. They're roughly 4" thick and 12-15" in diameter. I put them in the basement, stacked in a way that air can circulate all around. I have a dehumidifier that keeps the basement pretty dry, but I see some gray-black spottiness has developed on the cut surfaces. Is this what I think it is and is the wood ruined? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

It's mold and you can wash it off and put it outside. Even with a dehumidifier running putting wet green wood inside is not a good idea. The problem is that there is no air moving around in the basement. Stack outside and then coverit up when rain is in the forcast.

Thanks, Bryan,

Figured that's what it was. I was just hoping I hadn't messed up a whole bunch of really good smoke wood.

BTW, any suggestions on where to store dry, pre-chunked wood. I'm fairly positive my better half won't like it in the den. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mike, i keep my dried wood in the basement and or garage. I have a dehumidifer in the basement. Once it's dried it's ok to store in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back