Split the brisket?

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
I was at Sam's on Friday to pick up a brisket for a smoke tomorrow. They had flats and whole brskets. At $3.86/lb for the 7# flat, I was able to buy a 13# whole brisket for the same money. It is a beast!

I'm thinking I will have some trouble fitting it on the grate. At best it will be pressed against the sides on both ends.

I'm thinking about cutting it and seperating the flat and cooking the big end on a 2nd grate. Cooking them together cause any challenges that I should be aware of? I'm assuming the flat will get done first. I plan to do a high temp cook. I'm hoping the foil stage will equalize the cooking times.

if it touches the sides a little i wouldn't worry as the brisket does shrink. if the ends are over cooked you can use them in stews, sammies or as i do in bbq spaghetti.

Yep, stuff it between the handles on the top grate. Bend it if needed, after a few hours it will be small enough to fit.

I'm with the others, squish it in there, it will shrink. I thought the last two I cooked were going to be to big but they were fine.

Happy smokin!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Did a 16#'er a couple of weeks ago, squished between the handles (18"er). Fit-wise, it was fine. Taste and moistness-wise, I've got a lot to learn.

You can drape her over a coke can or rib rack. A few hours in she'll shrink up nicely and you can remove the rack or can. I'd place piece of foil under the flat so the heat coming up the sides doesn't dry her out.

Back