Spirit E-310 Top Temperature ?

FraserP_UK

What sort of top temperature should I be getting from a Spirit e-310 original?

Only got the box 2 days ago and I am 'testing' the burner patterns. With 3 burners fully on (lid down), I appear to have maxed out at approx 200c or 400f. I was hoping the top number would be nearer 250c or 480f. :(

It's not that I have needed the top temp yet, but this higher number is achievable on my charcoal or even my normal oven. It would also mean that I am not operating a max gas usage to acheive 200c, which for me is a very usefull number. It will also keep the misses of my back! ;)

I may be expecting too much, and all the docs appear to refer to direct-indirect and high-med-low but not a temperature range.

More testing bekons...... :D

What sort of thermometer are you using? The bimetal dial thermometer included is not particularly accurate.

I am using the supplied 'in lid' thermometer as well as an oven thermometer. The oven thermometer is the one I have relied on with both the charcoal and my oven. It's that device that showed reliable\consistant series of temps on the other devices. So, using that as a guage, it should not be that far off. If it is wrong (understating the temps) then I was getting over 280c on my 250c oven and 300c on the charcoal!

Today, I sacrificed 1 hour of gas, (no lid lift) as a test and only achieved 190c, 375f (acording to both the Weber and my oven thermometer

The chicken wings were fine though, on the earlier run....

Last edited:
Seems like the regulator or the tank OPV valve may be tripped. Those things should pretty easily come close to 500 anyway. I see some folks going on about hitting 600 in 5 minutes but I take that with a grain of salt

I've seen reports of the regulator safety trip but I thought this made them run even cooler than I am experiencing. I've been careful to ensure the burner buttons are off and allow time after the bottle has been switched on.
Tomorrow, I will disconnect and check the connections again.

Many thanks for the responses above.

It would appear that the regulator had tripped on maybe one of the sessions. HOWEVER.......

On all the other ones, I was being a total MUPPET!!! I had the burners set to low not high. :eek:

I phoned Weber UK for some advice and, after going through several checks, they suggest that I had 'maybe' mistakenly turned the dials to low. It was their polite way of saying one of their customers was having a senior moment! Major embarrassment..

Yesterday evening, I turned on the BBQ and within 10 minutes it was at 250c (480f) and still climbing!

With charcoal i had fewer choices (fewer opportunities for being stupid) more charcoal\less charcoal, more oxygen\less oxygen, direct heat\indirect heat. Now there are 3 pesky dails to deal with!;)

Back